The unknown frame returns - from the powdercoaters.

Thanks for posting more info on the powder coaters, and glad to see it all built up. You have built this up to your spec and that's no bad thing!

lovely bike and the colour really 'pops'!
I've a similar green on my Carrera - but your bike suits it and looks so much nicer

Hello!

The swatch-frame belonged to me, before I sold them to the guy (Rob Atkins) for about 48 GBP including shipping and a grey Rock Shox quadra ;)

I bought the whole bike one year ago in carinthia (austria). It was equipped with a full XTR-group, so I think it wasn't the cheapest bike at that time...

There have been some swatch bikes and frames at the beginning of the 90's. Therefore the swatch-decals are (were ;) ) original.

The lemon-colour is beautiful and I wish you many kilomters with your new/old bike. Cheers from austria, Christoph

Hi Christophe, thanks for the info.

Built in Taiwan, lived in Austria, now in the UK, it's travelled about a bit. :D

Do you think that the XTR groupset was original? The paintwork had badly faded, you could see that under the decals it was originally a deep purple, so I imagine it had been stored somewhere in direct sunlight. However, there weren't many signs of use, very few chips or scratches, so I don't think the bike had been ridden much, were the components also in good condition?

Bet you're pleased!

Yes I am. :D

It's not an exotic, hand built frame like a Roberts, or Overbury's ;) but there were a few features I liked, the quality tube set and the top tube cable routing in particular. It's a mass/factory made frame and it had the exact same "Made in Taiwan" sticker in the exact same place on the head tube as my 1990 Marin Pine Mountain. Many of the details of the frame are reminiscent of the Marin, the dropouts, althogh they have an extra mudguard eye, are very similar and all the other braze-ons, canti bridge, seat post binder bolt holes, rack mounts and cable stops look identical. Even the shaping of the top of the seat tube is the same so I'd be surprised if it wasn't made by the same manufacturer in Taiwan that Marin used for their frames.

Does anyone happen to know who built Marins 90s steel frames?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure, that the XTR-group was original. The condition of the XTR-parts was fine but far away from being perfect. I don't know, whether the frame was built up individually or just the whole bike could be bought. ;)

Re:

I think I might have stumbled across what this frame actually is: http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/v-mistra ... mt.688550/

Although mine was originally badged with Swatch decals, possibly as a promotion, everything else sort of fits, dropouts, cable routing, braze ons etc. all look to be the same. My frame came from Austria and I believe that Mistral is a German brand, so that sort of fits too, also if you look at this picture, you can see that my frame was originally a deep purple:

UK06.jpg

Re:

godders":2svkqp0m said:
Thats ace :cool: i have a 16" clockwork in the very same colour thats going to need a complete re coat ... and for £40 i dont think i could go wrong at that price :shock: even if i do have to post it half way up the country !! :LOL:
Mick :)

Unless they dent your frame :(

Back