Gavr's Oops! What was I thinking? Thread. Finished...

Oh yeah baby! Really taking shape now, just noticed the pedals on there too. How is the position?

Did you not get the caps today then? :(

Tel":wuep9yg8 said:
Oh yeah baby! Really taking shape now, just noticed the pedals on there too. How is the position?

Did you not get the caps today then? :(

No not yet, but the caps will always be the finishing touch - last pieces of the jigsaw.

Position - I think it is going to be a either top of the bars or the extension depending on traffic etc so it needs to be set up for both as best as possible. I'm not sure that I've worked that out yet.

Just about finished at last. Cut down steerer to length and fixed up thread for Shimano 600 JIS headset. Fitted the Motolites and levers, Paul Reverse lever and a Paul Cross lever. A bit more set up on the brakes but it's too cold outside to play. I didn't like the black chain so fitted a silver half link chain and the rear wheel is a much better fit in the dropout. Finished with some Tan Fizik tape to match the saddle. Final weight is 24 3/4 lbs. Just needs a tool bag and a bottle :D

Attachments

• IMG_3462.jpg
    IMG_3462.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,352
  • IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,351
  • IMG_3464.jpg
    IMG_3464.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,351
  • IMG_3471.jpg
    IMG_3471.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,352
  • IMG_3475.jpg
    IMG_3475.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 1,352
And then was born the most expensive R20 to ever grace the planet!

Looks great! (no front guard?) Think it's come together really well. How does it perform? Riding position ok? How is the hub gears/ coaster brake? That front brake looks a bit techno too!

So what's it's dutty and when are you going to take some better full bike shots? :)

Full spec:

Frame: Raleigh Twenty FE 1974. Respray copper metallic by Bob Jackson

Fork: Easy Racers inc 1 inch threaded Chromed

Headset: Shimano 600 (6400) JIS
Stem: Nitto Technomic
Handlebar: Nitto - RB010AA Bullhorns
Bar Tape: Fizik MicroTex

Brake Levers/Brifters: Paul Components Reverse/Cross levers
Brake Calipers: Paul Components MotoLite BMX
Brake Pads: Koolstop ThinLine
Brake Cables: Shimano Standard Cable Set

Shifters: N/A
Front Derailleur: N/A
Rear Derailleur: N/A
Derailleur Cables: N/A
Cassette: SRAM 19T
Chain: KMC HL710 Silver
Cranks: Sugino RD2
Chainrings: Sugino 50
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55
Pedals: Shimano A530

Rims: Sun Ringle CR-18 451 36h
Hubs: SRAM Automatix (Rear) Hope Pro 3 Silver (Front)
Hub Skewers: Schmidt Allen Key Fitting
Nipples: Sapim brass
Spokes: Sapim plain / SJS unbranded
Tyres: Kenda Small Block 8
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: SDG Bel Air
Seatpost: Paul Components Tall & Handsome
Seatpost Binder: Thomson. USE Shim

Bottle Cage: N/A
Extras: Steel pump with leather washer 12 inch - CyclesOfYesteryear

Weight: 24 3/4lb

Tel":36ypscb4 said:
And then was born the most expensive R20 to ever grace the planet!

Looks great! (no front guard?) Think it's come together really well. How does it perform? Riding position ok? How is the hub gears/ coaster brake? That front brake looks a bit techno too!

So what's it's dutty and when are you going to take some better full bike shots? :)

That was certainly a tougher project than I'd anticipated back in August. The rarity of some of the parts for 451 wheels in particular is problematic.

Riding position is comfy even on top of the bullhorns, not Graham Obree-like at all. There's plenty of adjustment in the seat post, stem and saddle front to back position and the set back seat post gives some useful extra room. I've not tested the hub gear in anger yet so can't say. Unfortunately there's not quite the clearance for the front guard with the big tyres. The front V-brake has bags of adjustment too so the bike can take a 406 wheel should I ever want to do that. The cross lever pushes on the housing rather than pulling the cable, giving two levers for the same brake, works a treat. They can be used for either short or long pull by moving the pivot - really simple. Had to cut the end of the bull horn on the brake side and shim for the cross brake but nice and firm fit both.

More piccies when the light's a bit better.

My nearly 5 year old wants to attach her Revolution Glider Kid's Tandem Trailer - it's going to be fun. It'll be like a train with that long wheel base :LOL:

Here's a few more finished pictures now resplendent with Carradice zipped bag - after all, all shopping bikes need a bag...

Attachments

• IMG_3492.jpg
    IMG_3492.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_3501.jpg
    IMG_3501.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_3494.jpg
    IMG_3494.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_3496.jpg
    IMG_3496.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 903
  • IMG_3500.jpg
    IMG_3500.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 903
Nice build, a couple of things bother me - need a front mudguard - looks out of balance IMHO. Also will it have a rear brake?

Like the Speed Defies Gravity saddle - prefer a Brooks, but a lovely Carradice bag offsets that for me.

Back