Official recommended or not paint-shop thread.

LSN coatings in Castleford have been used by a couple of guys in my area with good results and are good value too. They do powder coating. I'm definitely taking my DMR and GT there soon.

I'm glad that looks such a good finish as I'll be taking my Richter 8.0 frame and forks to LSN and maybe the Peugeot Dakar too.

Did you mask the canti mounts, threads etc yourself or do they do all that?

Did you mask the canti mounts, threads etc yourself or do they do all that?

They did all that, but I did remove all the stickers and decals, I also washed the frame in strong hot soapy water, cleaned the bottom bracket shell, head tube and seat tube to de-grease it as much as possible - I don't know whether that was necessary or not, but thought it was worth the 20 minutes it took, just in case.

A vote against Mercian here.
Wrong decals on fork legs, a dent filled badly, paint on thick (like a powdercoat)

The paint on their own bikes looks great though.

I know this isn't paint but its an option for small parts (maybe frames, dunno?), especially aluminium.

I just took some marzocchi fork legs to this place http://www.beadshot.co.uk/ and they used a coarse bead to remove the paint then a finer one to finish. They said if the paint was stripped first they could have got a better finish but it looks very nice to me anyway! £18 total cost. They masked what I asked and even masked the brake bosses even though I forgot to tell them to do it. Good service I reckon.

Nice smooth satin finish.

null_zpsf83aa976.jpg

null_zps08014a18.jpg

null_zps26ded06e.jpg

null_zpsa6e55bbd.jpg

I'm now imagining a completely naked satin bike... :shock:

Put that in the long term projects file! :LOL:

Great work Edd, can't believe noone's done this before!

CTK":2qf1zyxz said:
A vote against Mercian here.
Wrong decals on fork legs, a dent filled badly, paint on thick (like a powdercoat)

The paint on their own bikes looks great though.

Where are they based CTK?

Thanks for the responses and the list's been updated. :D

No one recommending some of the usual suspects like Argos?

Good to see there's not too many bad ones.

Mercian are Derby way. Dont like being critical!

The main lesson I took from it is to be exact in specifying what you want and if your not happy say so.

Back