SPD cleats

Got them out last a year ago using a new allen key and putting lots of pressure on it . once one screw was out , I turned the cleat with a pair of pliers and the other bolts came out too .

thanks chaps .

Wish I'd read this a couple of weeks ago. I've now just about wrecked a pair of shoes (well one) :evil: Plastic melts apparently :evil: :evil:

Not the cleats but the adjusting screw in a brand new XT-R pedal. Never used. But i think i used the wrong hex key? Any way, rounded the head. Options to removed and fit a new hex Please
Many Thanks :(

to add to the removing cleats options, BITD before I saw the light I rocked up at my friends house 5 minutes before we were due to leave for a ride with set of shoes with stuck cleats and pair of shiny new pedals on my bike waiting for their matching cleats to be fitted. As has been my experience in life since then the less time you have the less faffing around you do - 5 seconds of angle grinding to saw the cleats in half between the bolts and now the pressure was off the bolts they came out easy.

Well, I have the easy option - chuck my shoes away. After all, they cost less than a tenner at Lidl's last bike day sale! :LOL:

Weld

Tack weld (or get garage to) an old bolt to the knackered screw. Use the bolt to undo, throw away when out. Just a touch of weld will do.

Going forward, when the cleats are installed dab some silicone sealant in the screw heads. This stops the crap going in and easy enough to pick out when the time comes to replace the cleats.I just removed some cleats after about a year with not sealing the heads and was suprised how tough it was , and yes bit of grease on the threads when fitting.

theredchili":1c8jgc0a said:
Going forward, when the cleats are installed dab some silicone sealant in the screw heads. This stops the crap going in and easy enough to pick out when the time comes to replace the cleats.I just removed some cleats after about a year with not sealing the heads and was suprised how tough it was , and yes bit of grease on the threads when fitting.

CopaSlip

Back