another project 1990 tbg/kona cindercone splatter with pics!

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
a little while ago i wanted another bike to tweak slightly for riding around with my 21month old daughter, obviously retro and a suitable replacement for the mirage was sourced. always fancied another kona, they ride beautifully and look "right" imho.

so i got this one via ebay/here

pic from google/ebay

kona_cinder_cone_90_326.jpg

2012-09-09102357.jpg

in my workshop, sorry for shit phone pic

IMAG1746.jpg

my plan was to just clean it up and sort bits out............ :roll:

decided i was not keen on the suntour stuff and having shimano xt/exage stuff from the mirage thought id tidy it up a bit.

hence my for sale thread.....

stripped the bike down totally and the surface rust and scratches were as bad as the seller described so hatched a plan. i teach bricklaying to adults in evening classes and one of them loves retro cars and bikes and we got on really well, turns out he works for a local blasting company, shot, bead blasting etc.....jack tighe ;)

IMAG1748.jpg

4-F4029E02-1176985-480.jpg

IMAG1752.jpg

IMAG1749.jpg

4-1C6CE8F2-833433-480.jpg

he agreed to blast the frame etc for free!!!! as long as i did it properly lol

a week later i got this delivered to my door :D :cool: :p shame i couldn't lacquer it like this lol

4-D1EC022B-959841-480.jpg

4-B1251E76-1319232-480.jpg

4-3D3C7EF8-992855-480.jpg

gonna be primed in white and then a ford white, don't want it too shiny as the bits will not be NOS and i feel i couldn't do it justice.

Gil has sent me some ace decals which i will fit, then attack it with splatter effect, want to get Daisy to do this with me :D , then lacquer over it all and cover the top tube with helicopter tape ( weeride ).

P1030362.jpg

I'm glad you don't get on with the Suntour stuff as your cantilevers will do just fine for my identical (but smaller) Cinder Cone... :cool: Thanks by the way!

Your frame is in similar condition to mine by the look of it but I'm keeping mine as it is. I like patina, and anyway I don't know anyone handy to shotblast and repaint...

Watching this with interest!

looking good so far mate. Im looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

:cool:

Like the idea to get the offspring involved... nice touch

Personally I would rub the frame down with some 240grit to get the worst of the blasting finish down, then use a good few coats of filler primer to ensure A) a good bond and B) a good smooth finish....

I have something decidedly unique in mind for my 1990 ;)

Incidentally, is the chainset to be used for your build?

G

unkleGsif":1thoxwyy said:
Like the idea to get the offspring involved... nice touch

Personally I would rub the frame down with some 240grit to get the worst of the blasting finish down, then use a good few coats of filler primer to ensure A) a good bond and B) a good smooth finish....

I have something decidedly unique in mind for my 1990 ;)

Incidentally, is the chainset to be used for your build?

G

nope, chainset is for sale VVVVV ;)

paint and decals on :D

but photobucket is being well too slow, feckin adverts :roll:

Looking forward to seeing that Chris :D

Letting Daisy try splatter painting has got to be a recipe for disaster :LOL:

Make sure Karens out and the XR is covered up ;)

gonna do it in the front room, needs renovating anyway, daisy will do a bit but letting here lose totally will not be good, lol. karens quite looking forward as well :D

we have paint and stickers all done

P1030357.jpg

P1030359.jpg

P1030364.jpg

P1030368.jpg

P1030375.jpg

P1030371.jpg

P1030373.jpg

got some tester pots for the splatter and tried a few ways on a white waste pipe earlier, not too bad ;)

also recieved a seatpost and rear hub from CRC today and built up the rear wheel, nowt special hub wise but cheap as cheaps :D and new.

splatter update tomorrow :twisted:

Back