1989 Rockhopper first ride

euphras_1":39vvtjhy said:
Are you sure about the build year 1989? From what i´ve read in the Speci catalogues the blue/ivory Rockhopper with the rear U-Brake is the 1988 model.

I´m currently working on exactly the same model:

I thought the dark blue was 1988 and the all cantilever and light blue was 1989. I still have my 89 Rockhopper Comp. It's the light blue version. I bought it new so I'm sure it's an 89.

Ah, you won it.. This is the same bike i had when I was a wee lad, I was watching this, and was going to put a bid on it, but decided not to click the buttons, i would have only sat in my garage anyway.

Good luck with the build, it will be amazing.

I stopped and started watching on Ebay several times, I didn't really want another project, but one of these in my size won't crop up often, strangely the '88 brochure seems to say it should have 24 inch wheels for a 15" frame, but whatever.

Cold in the garage so cleaned up some of the bits in the kitchen whilst everyone is out.

Front wheel, bearings stripped and cleaned, spinning nice, seemed to be just old grease gumming them up, had to be careful of the seals as the bearings are cassette but all has worked well.

suntourstuff_2558jpgd.jpg

suntourstuff_2560jpgd.jpg

Waiting on a freewheel remover (thought I had seen the last of them!) then will clean up the rear bearings, not sure on freewheel yet, probably will be Sunrace ( it has a Shimano at the mo )

BITD I ran a Sachs freewheel with Deore mech and Suntour X1 shifters and all seemed fine although now I see it shouldn't index properly, we will see, using friction isn't a problem if necessary.

I would like a pair of 2.2 Hardpack's but the Ritchey's will be fine.

The groupset has cleaned up nice too

suntourstuff_2576.jpg

The Rollercam for the back is nos XCD, still waiting for that.

It's all a couple of years too new and possibly a bit posh for a 'hopper but I like it!

Back from Powder Coating

Very pleased.

specialized_2609_zps2362d6f1.jpg

Although rubbing down and painting the front part will be stressful!!

Check my signature, I have both Rockhopper and Rockhopper Comp from that year. Both are standard spec, may be of use for reference to you when building yours.

cs1":15cne62m said:
euphras_1":15cne62m said:
Are you sure about the build year 1989? From what i´ve read in the Speci catalogues the blue/ivory Rockhopper with the rear U-Brake is the 1988 model.
I´m currently working on exactly the same model:

I thought the dark blue was 1988 and the all cantilever and light blue was 1989. I still have my 89 Rockhopper Comp. It's the light blue version. I bought it new so I'm sure it's an 89.

The photos don´t reflect the impression you get in person. In reality the blue is much darker with a tint of lavender than in these pics made with a flashlight.

I know what you mean, mine is definitely a different colour to most, although I am sure it was original, so that's the colour I have tried to match.

OK have done the paint and loosely started assembly.

Used the original headset, not sure if I will use the greaseguard BB, may go modern.

Here it is with Spec saddle and original type stem.

specialized_2611_zpsaf94458d.jpg

TBH not keen, very upright position, it's going to be a cruiser but that may be a bit too upright ( stem also looks bent in the pics! )

Different saddle helps the looks IMHO

specialized_2613_zpsafe971f5.jpg

Now with a Stumpy stem getting close to how I want it.

specialized_2616_zps043348d1.jpg

Will order the Stickers after Christmas.

Quiet pleased so far.

Just need to get cables, chain and freewheel.........and put it all together.

Think it needs bigger tyres too, 2.2 Hardpacks would be nice but I may see if some skin wall DMR's fit.

Ahh yes, those would look good. I have measured and there seems to be 2.5" clearance so should be fine. I'll wait until the rollercam is on tho', that may suck up some clearance.

Back