Science Fiction and Science fact

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Being an avid sci-fi and sci-fantasy fan(atic) I enjoy watching technology evolve.

My favourite has been watching for 'soft' displays after reading Arthur C. Clarke's 'Sunstorm' from around 2006. Philips had snuck in a rollable BW LCD 'soft screen' into one of the electronic shows that year. It was very basic but it did what it sounds like, a soft, bendy display.

After reading this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20526577, its about to become reality!

Yay!

_64440279_lgdisplay.jpg

_64431750_plastic.jpg

Another book to pre-empt a few things was 'The Ghost from the Grand Banks' (raising the bits of the Titanic in time for its 100th anniversary) - this pre-empted a few things including an entrepreneur 'backing the wrong high definition broadcast standards' which so easily could have happened or may yet.

Anyway, back to more reading...

Lysander":1vy9jlqx said:
Mehh......I'm still waiting for a moon base and flying cars...... :x

There's a few spots on Conservation Rd. where my Audi becomes a flying car, for a brief few seconds. :D

Now that I think about it, there used to be a table top section at the quarry on Sideroad 22. Used to jump it in my MkII all the time. They've leveled it out since. Too many people with suspect skill-sets were winding up in the ditch.

I have been watching this stuff in the news.....graphine etc........the thing i will not like about this ace technology will be the cerial packets in the super markets that will be playing video's in order to get you to buy them, but the advertisers will just says it's just like an ad on TV at home..........still this stuff is meant to be biodegradable.....so that's good.................

I like the idea of the 'plastic' newspaper..........will save a lot of paper, but put manual workers out of a job.

legrandefromage":3h8i0dhl said:
Another book to pre-empt a few things was 'The Ghost from the Grand Banks' (raising the bits of the Titanic in time for its 100th anniversary) - this pre-empted a few things including an entrepreneur 'backing the wrong high definition broadcast standards' which so easily could have happened or may yet.

Microsoft went with HV DVD on the Xbox360 a few years back!!!

I guess you've seen that "Prophets of Science Fiction" programme on TV?

I remember reading Arthur C Clarkes book "Mysterious World" and watching the TV series, man that really creeped me out :shock:

Back