Who needs FS?

Andy R":367i4wwe said:
legrandefromage":367i4wwe said:
Wheres the video of them riding back up?

Those young dudes could ride back up better than most of us on here, I reckon, not to mention that they're faster and more stylish than I ever was.

That's the trouble with forums - everybody's a keyboard Trail God.
"That looks really tame, they're using their brakes a lot".

Heaven forbid that anyone should produce a decent video of me riding then - you lot would have me lynched.

I'm just too raad to reply to that.

(just come back from a chilly road ride and I look like my dad from 30 years ago!)

Whatever the verdict on the best bike, that trail looked great fun but I'd use a big forked hardtail to absorb my frequent mistakes :LOL:

i have ridden many types of trails, terrain blah blah blah, and gone back to a hardtail. F/S is good and does smooth out many things, but you get lazy and let the bike do the riding, not the rider. i have mtb and bmx background so finding the right line and having fun is more important now.

do you need F/S?, not at all, your legs have more travel.

do i want F/S? sure, why not?

will i get one? nope, waste of money lol, we rode the alps etc years ago with 1" forks and did fine.............. :roll:

cool video though :cool:

longun":2rbex0hp said:
will i get one? nope, waste of money lol, we rode the alps etc years ago with 1" forks and did fine.............. :roll:

Which raises the question - do we need suspension at all??
Actually, of course we don't - I probably have more fun on a rigid singlespeed than any other bike I own. I'm told that I ride it better too, but then BITD that's all I rode and raced on, of course.

Andy R":3fijoffq said:
longun":3fijoffq said:

Which raises the question - do we need suspension at all??
Actually, of course we don't - I probably have more fun on a rigid singlespeed than any other bike I own. I'm told that I ride it better too, but then BITD that's all I rode and raced on, of course.

your right :D , although a sweet pair of pace forks do finish a bike off well lol :D

I am fancying a uber light rigid xc machine but tbh I am not sure that I would eve use bitd I rode a Dynatech torus with trimnel forks and really thought it was the bees knees until I went out on a Proflex test day. that day completely changed my outlook on riding and I left feeling the Proflex's were awesome just a little too heavy , I felt that if I could drop a few pounds off the weight of the Proflex then I would have the ultimate bike for me. but at that time the cost would have been ridiculous ,now how ever many years later by using Retrobike I have built that bike . I still have a Torus frame that one day will be built but right now I cant see the use. I have 2 proflex's one a silly light xc machine and the other a still reasonably light AM bike I love them both to bits in my eyes a FS rules in just about all circumstances if it is light enough

webba":3o7pvbz1 said:
Imho a FS if in the same weight category as a HT the FS is always better off road, a well dialled FS will keep both wheels on the ground more of the time and more evenly which gives you superior handling and braking ,it doesn’t even have to be downhill as soon as a surface becomes loose or uneven then a FS rules if its light enough

If only there was a rep option on this board!

(Second thoughts, I would be -5000 odds..)

Sounds like the spiel a good saleman would give to shift a fs that wasn't selling...... instead of selling the hardtail the customer really wants ;)

I think most people who have owned many :cool: of both types of bike know that if the trail is not too challenging the ht will be quicker.........some people who own fs bikes 'think' their going faster than they really are, cos it says so in the adverts, well that's how they sell stuff I guess, ;)

longun":116ovje0 said:

Your legs can't do what rear suspension does!!! For the record though I much prefer riding short travel hardtails too.

JamesM":1xbtt2oj said:
longun":1xbtt2oj said:

Your legs can't do what rear suspension does!!! For the record though I much prefer riding short travel hardtails too.

have you seen how long my legs are lol ;)

Back