old mtb for heavy-duty touring: recommendations please

Been a' measurin'.

Currently my BB-to-saddle height is 33", my reach (measured as centre of seatpost to centre of hoods) is 30", and the hoods are 42" off the ground and an inch higher than the top of my saddle.

I'm still unsure if a similar position can be achieved on what is a rather smaller frame, even with the super-tall stems (remember that I'm using a super-tall Technomic stem to get into the above position anyway) - if the MTB frame is 20" rather than roadie's 25", with a horizontal top-tube, then the headset is going to be 5" lower...

Working this out with the 'Dirt Drop' stem, I reckon the bars will end up about 2" lower and 1.5" closer (shallower frame angle helps) than they are at the moment. However, the Dirt Drop stem takes a 1" threaded headset and I think I'm right in saying that both the early 90s Orange Clockwork and Rockhopper have 1 1/8" threaded (although there are some pretty tall 1 1/8" threaded stems on ebay too).

I think I might just buy one and see if it fits. I should get my money back easily enough.

I've been meaning to update with similar concerns. Last weekend the weather was great, so I did 2 all-day rides, 6 hours & ~150 km. Even with the stem at max height it was hard on the back. I could just switch the stem, but I've caught the retro mtb bug bad. The Terra Runner is a wonderful ride off road, I want to keep it as a dedicated mtb, & try lots more classic bikes.

Now I'm looking at even older bikes: mid-80's models have very slack geometries, high-angled stems, & moose handlebars. Should be more comfortable for touring. As a bonus, they also predate rapidfire shifters and u brakes. I'm gonna look at 2 this weekend & report back.

One option you might consider if you wanted to stay with the KM and save your neck, back and shoulders is to use a threaded to threadless high riser stem adapter.

I converted a Terrarunner to offroad tourer earlier this year and used a Soma stem riser to get the bars up level with the saddle. Had to use a couple of 1 1/8" to 1" steerer tube shims, one on top of the other, the bottom one with the lip ground off to slide down inside to the bottom of the steerer and loctited in place. It's not ideal but seems to work okay.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

The Koga is a good choice, made that trip in 1996 through Uzbekistan, Kirgistan, Tadjikistan, China and Pakistan. You'll love it!
If I would do that trip again I would always go for a Rohloff (but that's taking away a lot of your traveling budget ;) )
Just be sure to bring spares and Lock-tite any part on your bike...the roads are rough :D

file-21.jpg

file-20.jpg

Great photos, what bike did you do your central asia trip on?

I was seriously tempted by this world-travelling Rohloff beauty, which at a 1000 euros is a bargain despite being more than triple what I'd originally budgeted for the full conversion. I thought I'd sleep on it one night, but by the next morning it was reserved. :cry:

But most Rohloff trekking bikes don't appeal to me, so I'll stick with the plan & try to do this on the cheap.

Finding a quality 1980s frame is proving difficult: everything that's been available on marktplaats the past 2 months has been rather tatty mid-range stuff. Luckily I'm much shorter than AshtanoJoe - my seatpost is only about 12cm out - so it won't take much to get the handlebar level with the saddle on an average early 90s mtb geometry. Just a riser stem and handlebar should do.

AshtanoJoe's 1991 Terra Runner conversion is almost exactly what I had in mind. Did you use the stock wheels? How much weight were you carrying? Were you happy about replacing the DX components with modern stuff? Did you regret not having fenders/lights?

I'm only planning on leaving in March, so there's still time for the right bike/parts to come along.

bhumidravi":bf2pfi8h said:
everything that's been available on marktplaats the past 2 months has been rather tatty mid-range stuff.

In my experience mid-range frames are rather better than top-end stuff. the heavier tubes make the bike less flexy when loaded. My Marin Palisades is much better to ride than the Pine Mountain, which tended to wobble under load.

I got an old Saracen Sahara Elite off ebay, £25, respray and new handelbars, saddle, racks etc.
She's heavy (I hate to think), but rides nice, especially with the sit up and beg bars which I personally favour for touring (keeps the weight off my hands, the strain off my neck and lets me see the world).

Here's a pic:

i-3nGkvH3-M.jpg

Back