Chain wear checker

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Right, did a search on this subject, but without joy.

Been asked about Christmas pressies and decided I'm going to ask for a chain wear checker tool, as I always leave the chain on too long and end up replacing the cassette at the same time.

My question is... are they all much of a muchness? obviously the common wear indicators will be .5 and .75, but I need a checker that will work on 3/32 and 1/8 chains 7,8,9 speed etc.

Anyone recommend one?

jimo746":jdzkjk9u said:
Anyone recommend one?

yes.
this one

one of the cheaper ones but does as good a job as ones costing 5x the price. works on 9 and 10 speed bike chains and I so no reason why it won't work on 8 or lesser speed chains providing the pitch and the roller diameter is the same.

.75 means replace chain very very soon
1.0 means replace chain now or it may be too late

looks like a good stocking filler :)

but not due in stock until 24th December :x damn you CRC! I'll look elsewhere.

Or you could just set the chain on the largest ring at the front, pull the chain forward off the leading edge of the ring, then if you can fit a 5/6mm allen key under the chain, it needs replacing.

I always use to go 2 chains for each cassette.

02gf74":2ngfdfbx said:
.75 means replace chain very very soon
1.0 means replace chain now or it may be too late

I disagree. .75 is change chain now. 1% elongation is usually change drivetrain though you can sometimes get away with keeping some parts if your lucky.

There are others that are the same, i think mine is a bikehut one.
We used to use a park one which are superb but used day in day out can take some wear though they do last a long while.

I don't mind if you disagree, not the slightest. :LOL:

.... but if you think about it, why would you need the 1.0 indicator as the .75 will be enough?

Whoever wrote this on Bikeradar is saying the same as me.

for those too lazy to follow the link:
You just hook it on to the chain, which takes about two seconds - if one end stands proud, everything's fine, if it falls into the chain, it's worn. This is two sided: one side checks 0.75% wear ('replace chain soon'), the other checks 1% wear ('replace chain immediately'). It fits all chains from 1/8in singlespeeds to 10-speeds.

Have you tried putting a new chain on a drivetrain that has been running a 1% stretched chain for a while, doesnt normally work. Variable of course but rule of thumb. That is how we have always done it. I see your point though, somewhere in between would be a good point i suppose.

^^^ .... actually a little bit more googling seems to show we both are correct - there is checker (Park Tools I think) that has .5 and .75 wear indicators.

I replace chains as soon as they go past .75 so cannot recall if I have fitted a new chain on a cassette that was running with > 1 % worn chain.

It does not surprise me that a new chain would skip on the cassette in that case.

but the conclusion is that a chain wear is very useful since it can save a bit of money by being able to run the same cassette for 2 or 3 chains (I have not got past 3 I don't think) £ 10 for chain, £ 30 for cassette.

None of the ones mentioned so far.

Best one of that type is the Rohloff.

But really- you want the same one I have in my workshop.....

(Except I don't know who makes the damn things)

Will get back to you tomorrow.

Back