1989 Rockhopper first ride

gbmoto

Retro Guru
The bike I yearned for when I had my first mortgage and a Ridgeback S.

Frame and forks bought for an embarrassing £1.04 on the bay.

Just mocked up with some handy wheels and chainset to make sure all is square.

The build will be Suntour XC Pro mostly and keeping relatively period.

The not keen on the stem that came with it but this will be a cruiser so I guess it would suit.

Will strip it for blasting tommorow (the picture flatters it) and powder coat.

P1020433jpgd.jpg

I will look forward to this :D who would think you could buy a retro frame and forks for the cost of a double mars bar lol !!

Are you sure about the build year 1989? From what i´ve read in the Speci catalogues the blue/ivory Rockhopper with the rear U-Brake is the 1988 model.

I´m currently working on exactly the same model:

Wow yours is looking very good euphras.

Only reason I say 1989 is because the seller said so, I cannot find a 89 catalogue on the net, only the 88 which is just like yours.

Although my colours are slightly different, but may have faded!

Fantastic, looking forward to this - if you're going for a Suntour build are you going to replace the U-brake with a rollercam? There were a couple on sale here recently.

Yup, rollercam on it's way, was never impressed with the u brakes bitd, but have never ridden with a rollercam.

Excellent. deffo 1988 then, must have faded in the sun......or rain!

I looked and looked for a 89 brochure and could not find one........doh.

Also looks like I need a big Kalloy type stem, looks much nicer that what's on there at the moment.

The XC Pro bits have arrived, like jewelry, especially the shifters.

Also includes a pair of Specialized GXL rims so may well use those.

Guess I need to edit the title of the thread too.

gbmoto":2cxvmdhm said:
The XC Pro bits have arrived, like jewelry, especially the shifters.
Also includes a pair of Specialized GXL rims so may well use those.

XC Pro are pieces of art, i agree. I have a full Standard (110/74) XC Pro group in my closet but i´m planning to build it up with one of my middle class groups (i also have an more or less complete XC LTD and pieces of the XCD group on my hands). Brakes will be the original Shimano BR-MT60/61 from the Deore group. The wheels i bought some days ago are Shimano DX / Specialized BX23 from an 1990 Stumpjumper. Of course i had to re-spacer them for the 130 mm rear dropout.

I really look forward to see your progress of restauration. It gives me some kind of motivation when i have in mind that someone "over the pond" works on the same old Spesh model... :D

Back