Help with Townsend Frame Reynolds? or not

roccostan

Retro Newbie
Hi im looking to buy this bike on ebay and the owner is not familiar with the frame, is there anyway of identifying the frame, there is only a serial number under the bottom bracket with no letters only numbers.
The item no on ebay is 221157793119 my first post so i cant post a link sorry

Bike

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert, but that price is way too much for this bike. I've got an old Townsend at home that is 531 and wouldn't expect to get much more than £100 for it.

For that sort of outlay, if you want an old british bike, look for Brian Rourke, Harry Hall, Harry Quinn, Bob Jackson etc. All quality well respected manufacturers.

Lowest-rent components possible, frame detailing suggests low-end too (stamped lugs not cast, for example). The wheels look to be steel and have a screw-on freewheel.

Personally I might offer £50 for it as the sort of bike I'd happily leave chained up outside a railway station. £100 is generous.

thanks for your replies guys, I really like the frame and the detail, i wanted to know if it could be a Reynolds frame? it is quiet a unique design.

I would seriously doubt it. Few people use pricey tubes and then braze to cheap pressed dropouts. The frame lugs don't look too great either, especially that bottom bracket one. Looks like a cheap bulge-formed one, not investment cast.

Not worth the money. I'm sure you could find something even more unique and better quality for much less. I would try searching "road for sale" in this forum.

@TGR: the owner is not sure if he wants want to sell this steed... I wouldn't, it's really exeptional and the price, I imagine, will be sky high.

Back