Brewza's 1991 CFM1 new pics pg 2

Brewza

Old School Hero
Righty. I bought the frame from Trademe (A New Zealand auction website) and have started collecting various parts and what not to build the bike I was riding back in 1991.
I've scored a couple of new bits since the pic was taken + early 90's XT shifters, etc. but this is where I am now.
I stripped the pearl paint from the frame and have started the re-laquering, polishing the lugs, new decals etc to make the old girl really shine.
The manitou2's are somthing I bought from a really helpful guy here in NZ named Andrew. I grabbed the 2's and some Manitou Sports from him and canibilised the Sports internals for the elastomers and the coil spring.
It took a little work but the 2's are back together after the sticky mess was dealt with.
A wee tip. Once you manage to remove all the sticky gloop from your Manitou forks, drop everything into a large jar of acetone. It won't disolve anything usefull, but it will get rid of everything sticky and useless.

Attachments

• DSCF0396.JPG
    DSCF0396.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 916
  • DSCF0390.JPG
    DSCF0390.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 908
Today I scored an NOS Zoom competition stem and not NOS Titec titanium bars.
Sidenote: Does anyone recognise the q/release skewers I have fitted? They are a real B***** to engage to a level I am confident with.
They came on the donor bike I scored all the XT stuff I will fit to the Cadex.

As a big fan and owner of Cadex CFMs, I very much look forward to seeing the finished bike.

What are your plans with the paint work?

I'm going to relaquer the carbon and kevlar and throw some basic white decals on it.
Trying to keep it pretty low key/ raw looking if possible.

I bought a new box of blades and gently scraped the paint off along the length of the tubes then sanded the tubes with 3m spongy sanding pads (superfine wet).

I use airbrushes and have access to booths everyday at work but I have found Plasticoat Superclear laquer in an aerosol to work pretty well.
I've sanded the laquer with 1500 wet to get rid of the orange peel and then I polished it with toothepaste and a wet cloth.
The pics at the moment are pre laquer, but I'm really pleased with the results from using the toothpaste (which I didn't expect).
I'll post some new pics soon.

I didn't need to use such a `number 8 wire' technique (due to the resources available to me) but simpler seemed to work better after some testing.

Also..Does anyone recognise the QR skewers I've got on it at the moment?
They really suck, and I'm wondering if I am tensioning them down incorrectly or something because I really wouldn't trust them on a trail with how easy they are to release.

Back