The unknown frame returns - from the powdercoaters.

xerxes

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Some time ago I bought a frame on Ebay, didn't know what it was, but knew it was Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong, so thought it might be worth a go.

Turns out it was Rob Atkins, who's a member on this forum, here's the original thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206790&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

There were some questions raised about the frame being oddly aligned and heavy, but in fact it was actually pretty light, lighter than a similar sized Marin Pine Mountain frame, and straight.

Once I had found some suitable forks I built up the frame and rode it for a while to see how I liked it:

UK01.jpg

UK02.jpg

Once I had the stem length and height dialed in, I liked it a lot, it rides really niceley. However, the odd faded purple colour wasn't really my cup of tea so I sent it off to LSN Coatings: http://www.lsn-coatings.co.uk/, frame and forks cost £40.00. A week later, this is what I got back:

UK11.jpg

UK12.jpg

UK13.jpg

Absolutely chuffed with the colour, the pictures don't really do it justice, it's a really bright metallic lime green. :D

I'll put all the bit back on in the next day or two.

That looks like a great job. I presume they removed the old paint as well for £40? Do you know if it was shot / bead blasted or dipped?
I have been looking for someone to powder coat a frame and this price sounds very attractive!

Looking forward to seeing this built up in your colour :D

Bargain paintjob :cool: Like to see something unloved that turns out to be a bargain wolf in sheep's clothing.

Needs some shiny canti's though to go with the polished cranks ;)

Nice work, my Stumjumper frame is at LSN coatings right now being covered in metallic white, when I dropped it in there I had a good nosey around and they had plenty of other bike frames in both waiting and finished.

Looks like a really nice job :)

How are you going to match components to the lime-green colour?

Thats ace :cool: i have a 16" clockwork in the very same colour thats going to need a complete re coat ... and for £40 i dont think i could go wrong at that price :shock: even if i do have to post it half way up the country !! :LOL:
Mick :)

That looks great - always annoyed me everyone has a downer on that frame. It looks really good built up.... kinda gutted I sold it..... But it does look a bit too big for me anyway.

What's the quality of the finish from LSN - they are in Castleford, yes?

I love the colour. Holden (here in NZ and Ausi) have a colour for their cars called Atomic green, which I love.

Attachments

• holden-hsv-maloo-r8_8.jpg
    holden-hsv-maloo-r8_8.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 3,067
Some more pictures of the bike back together:

UK14.jpg

UK15.jpg

UK16.jpg

UK17.jpg

UK18.jpg

UK19.jpg

To answer some of the questions:

I presume they removed the old paint as well for £40? Do you know if it was shot / bead blasted or dipped?

I sent the frame with the old paint on it, but I had removed the decals, which were pealing anyway. I'm not sure whether it was shot or bead blasted. Some gritty powder came out of some of the small frame holes when I shook it. The threads in the frame were also very gritty and I probably should have spent some time cleaning them before reassembling, I'm not sure wether it's a common problem or not, this is the first frame I've ever had done.

What's the quality of the finish from LSN - they are in Castleford, yes?

Yes, they're in Castleford. With regard to the finish, for the price I'm really pleased with it and I love the colour. It's not super "glass" shiney, but I understand that that's not uncommon with powder coat when compared to "wet" paint and I couldn't say how it compares to other more expensive powder coaters. I would happily use LSN again.

Back