Motobecane La Redoute Road Bike.

Ian Raleigh":3kgg2dmr said:
Tel":3kgg2dmr said:
That is so stunning Ian. Y'know I really think that I sold that too cheap, perhaps you'd be good enough to pay the balance now, I reckon an extra £250 should do it!

I went on a VCC ride last year and there was several oldies who had rode professional all around the world
and one old codger looked at my bike and said BBBBBY-christ you have a Sherwen bike! I explained that
its a replica and not the real thing, He checked the bike out and said the only difference is the Bottom Bracket
shell/Bottom Bracket and Fork crown! then started fumbling around searching for something and at that point I asked if you are OK?
He said yes I'm looking for my wallet at that point he offered me a four figure sum for the bike! He was serious too but I turned the chap down.

That really takes me back, excellent bike nice to see some other kit than campag, stronglight and simplex were great at that time. Heres a challenge as a 19year old I once went out riding with Paul Sherwin in the snow, he was riding a the cyclo cross version of this bike, anyone seen one of those?

Doubledee":1hh4oc9t said:
That really takes me back, excellent bike nice to see some other kit than campag, stronglight and simplex were great at that time.
Heres a challenge as a 19year old I once went out riding with Paul Sherwin in the snow,
he was riding a the cyclo cross version of this bike, anyone seen one of those?
Nope! Never seen a Motobecane cross bike :(

Would be great to add any such pictures to this thread :cool:

Welcome to the forum ''Doubledee''

Ian.

Ian Raleigh":8audwave said:
Doubledee":8audwave said:
That really takes me back, excellent bike nice to see some other kit than campag, stronglight and simplex were great at that time.
Heres a challenge as a 19year old I once went out riding with Paul Sherwin in the snow,
he was riding a the cyclo cross version of this bike, anyone seen one of those?
Nope! Never seen a Motobecane cross bike :(

Would be great to add any such pictures to this thread :cool:

Welcome to the forum ''Doubledee''

Sorry no pictures ,all but distant memories, was about 1987 last seen. I will enquire though as he must have done something with it, I know he rode his testimonial race at Maclesfiled Cyclo Cross on it that year. Enjoying the forum, so much better to share than standing staring at my retro bikes in the garage!

Ian.

This is definitely one of my favourites. Is the same stem on it? If I was being super critical I would say (purely for looks) the stem needs to be a bit longer in the side on shot.

Looks amazing though. I spent a lot of time in this thread.

Iwasgoodonce":5ffheexj said:
Is the same stem on it? If I was being super critical I would say (purely for looks) the stem needs to be a bit longer in the side on shot.

The stem is still on and I think its 100mm stem, I feel fine riding the bike but as you could do with being a little longer,The stems on my bikes are 110mm.

Glad you like my La Redoute job! Alot of newbie/new age riders are unaware of this brand of bicycle.

mbk019.jpg

Hello,

I think this topic might be the right place for putting my question... :)

I just bought a Motobecane Equipe Pro and wonder about the ways it differs from your exceptionally beautiful La Redoutes.

The bike is in an exceptionally good condition. Although it's quite similar to the La Redoute, it's got no chromed rear stays, but frame and fork are also Columbus SL. It's got a Huret Success Titanium, Stronglight 106, and the saddle is stamped "Motobecane Competition".

So far, I haven' managed to find an identical on the web. Maybe you can help me on this one and give me some Information about this bike.

Please excuse, but I haven't managed to make proper Pictures yet.

All the best,
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

I think after about ten postings you'll be able to put up a picture of your Motobecane
and your more than welcome to put it up on this thread, being as there are not many
of these types of Motobecane's knocking about.

Ian.

Hi Ian,

thank you very much for your nice welcome! :D

I've finally managed to make some proper pictures.

Frame and fork are build from Columbus SL. It's equipped with a Huret Success (Titane), a Stronglight 106, Pelissier 1001 hubs and Super Champion Route rims as well as Belleri stem a handlebars. According to a "1" engraved on the crank, I'd suppose it's been built in 1981.

But the best thing is, that this build-on-measure bike fits me perfectly, with a seattube of 59cm and a rather short toptube of 56,5. :D The bike is still as bought, and the condition is really superb. Apart from 2 or 3 minor scratches in the paintwork and a few tiny spots on the front fork, it looks like new. But see for yourselves, here are some pictures:

Incredible condition, really incredible!!!! Do you use this at all? Looks like a museum piece, unreal!!! i love it a lot!!! Have you any more bikes in this condition?

Love it!!!!

^^^^ can i say any more?

Regards,

Richard

Thank you! Glad you like it. :D

Well, actually I just bought it... I intend to use it occasionally during the summer. The condition is really superb, and I'll try my very best to keep it that way. I'm afraid, that is the only bike I have in such good a condition. Concerning Motobecane's I also have a blue '77 Le Champion and a '76 Super Champion, but they are in a normal condition.

From what I've learned so far, my bike seems to have been the "cheapest" version of the SP, due to it's non-chromed rear stays, Huret Success derailleurs etc... Actually, "cheap" is relative. According to an old advertisement I saw, http://www.rennrad-news.de/forum/thread ... st-2686593, it did still cost 5900F in 1981, that would be about 1200€ today (excluding Inflation). The most expensive one was 7000F.

Back