Tap & Die set recommendations ?

Wylie

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a metric tap & die set (M3-M12 should do). Don't really want to be paying the earth. Anyone have any good recommendations for UK made sets?

I did read somewhere that many imported tools are made from scrapped cars :shock: ...so i would like to steer clear of those.

Any help or advice would be most gratefully appreciated ;)

nearly everything on sale in the uk is imported

anyway lidl and aldi sometimes have tools for sale

or check machine mart and screwfix

Make sure that they're HSS (High Speed Steel), not just Carbon Steel, they're not worth bothering with.
A good brand? - Something like SKF , for occasional use they'll probably outlive you - I've got some that I've had for over 35 years and that used to be used on an almost daily basis in my toolroom.

For a lot of work you can get by with just the 1st and 3rd taps which will save a bit of money, especially when you get up to larger sizes.
Get some tapping compound at the same time, it's far better than just using oil.

Don't bother with the cheap Chinese stuff in Aldi or the market. I found a set from B&Q was OK of occasional use and was about £20.
If you are just looking for something to clean up threads after painting etc then a 3rd tap is fine - but you need all three for doing a decent job with raw holes.

Google Cromwell Tooling.

They are a great company with quality products at a fair price.

!st 2nd & 3rd taps should be used in sequence for through holes, a plug tap is needed for blind holes.

If tapping Aluminium use parafin as a lubricant.

When tapping keep backing off the tap and cleaning the hole, more so in a blind hole.

Oh and make sure you have the correct tapping drills!
(Cromwell do a complete set of taps and corresponding drills.

Maybe consider getting a Zeus Book, it will be your friend for ever.

Thanks for the replies guys. I prob should have explained a bit more. I only really need an M10 tap at the present, to drill / tap the base of a recliner, in order to fit it with some 75mm threaded castors. With this in mind i am now considering just getting a decent quality 3 piece M10 set (Taper, 2nd & Plug), a decent suitable tap wrench & some cutting compound.

May give S.K.F & Cromwell's an email ;)

Thanks Guys :cool:

Cheers for the help guys
Thumbup.gif

I also found this quite interesting, if a little confusing. Worth a read though.
http://reviews.ebay.com/Tap-and-Die-sets-what-to-buy-and-what-not?ugid=10000000003822729

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back