MacRetro chat and rides thread

Not yet - the second roof surveyor goes in tomorrow, been a bit of a nightmare really, I should know what we are doing by next week.

one etape question (for perhaps the experience of TK) - I was told you need to go up the day before the ride to register? is that right, or can you register on the day??

You do - no registration on the day - but going up the day before is really worth it to take in the atmosphere, never seen anything like it, was a great day out, and far nicer weather than the day of the race :)

A lot of people get others to pick up their entries, that is allowed as long a a letter is provided. Or you can camp overnight, stay in a B&B etc. but book early as accommodation sells out well before the event.

Thought about doing the Etape however at £63 it is probably the most expensive sportive you could choose to do.
And the numbers involved are attracting a lot of adverse publicity.

I also fancied the Kinross sportive but it's full already.

There's a few others in Scotland and the north of England.

There are quite a few more, I enjoyed the Drumlanrig challenge last year. Also always fancied the Trossachs Ton, No Fuss have a couple of sportives next year too IIRC.

These all appeal anaw

http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/

Nothing to stop you doing your own epic either, I've done the C2C before, Saltcoats to Haddington which was a shade under 100 miles. I'm probably being a snob or summat but the etape just seems a bit mainstream or meh for me. :oops:

errr Kaiser a C2C from Saltcoats to Haddington does not a C2C make as Haddington is not on the coast. I think I might have noticed if sea levels in the east had risen that far.

However 100 miles is extremely impressive and knocks my 85mile record off the score board.

We should have a MacRetro sportif next year :LOL:

Sorry should have said route took in the coast and I ended up in Haddington.

Furthest I've cycled is 112 miles, Ironman bike leg and the Fred Whitton Challenge which is a super tough day in the saddle.

I know a guy who cycled from Edinburgh to Shap and back on a Saturday as a training run in preparation for Paris-Brest-Paris. He then went for a 60 mile warm down run on the Sunday when I met him when I was doing a 40 odd mile loop down to Inners and back :shock:

Some people scare me and you are one of them Kaiser :LOL:

Back