Ernie Clements Roadbike

OK, the reason for the sound being dull on the top tube is probably the cable routed allong it. I hope you dont mind my honesty, but the frame appears to outshine the equipment on it. The weight is high but a good groupset would bring this down, although, the gear on it does not look heavy - single chain wheel etc. I think I can see an end-stop (thin screw) on the rear end - if so, this is a good sign. Also, divers helmet (cable guide) on chain stay is good. What do the lugs look like -where the tubes join? Clements usually used Prugnat spear-point lugs on good falcons and on the later clements. Re frame number - the new paint might be filling it in. I am convinced (know) that this is a decent frame - but how decent? The mudguard eyes say a lot. A close frame withe eyes indicates many things - 1- it could have been bulit as a training frame for winter use.2- It might not be a falcon or EC (but who would got to the bother of sourcing transfers etc). It certainly leans towards falcon - check out http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Britis ... d_road.htm It might be a later variant of this bike. Anyone out there with suggestions?

Here are some more pics that may, or may not, help?
Seatstays.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

Crown.jpg

Bocama lugs - nice http://veloworks.com/lug_reference/boca ... 27002.html I like that fork with semi sloping crown and those ends could be campag 1010. If you opened the nut that holds the brake to the frame - and find a hole that is (a good few mm) larger than the bolt passing through it - the frame is recessed for allen bolts - this dates to approx early 80s. If not it's probably earlier.

I've just noticed that the top eyes are fluted - where stayes join to seat cluster. This a very good sign - extra work from a build point of view. There is no doubting the quality of your frame. Up-grade the componentry and your on to a winner.

Many thanks for all your help with my query. Much appreciated :D
You have probably realised by now, that I am not an experienced road biker (MTB's being my main passion), therefore, would appreciate your recommendation on what componentry would you put on such a frame :?:

Campagnolo of the correct period allways looks good. With that frame you could get away with Nuovo Record & Super Record 70s to mid 80s or early C-record, Chorus etc - or shimano Dura Ace and so on. Hours of pleasure on the net looking at catalogues - a good place to start http://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/ enjoy.

Attachments

• ciocc 1 web.jpg
    ciocc 1 web.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,928
pistol13":2htlsup1 said:
Sorry but i cannot help you with info on your bike although i'm loving that shifter on the stem. Most unusual. Maybe other can help, Looks quite nice though.

This is what the late great Sheldon Brown had to say about stem shifters -

'Stem Shifter
A type of shift lever which mounts on the shaft of the handlebar stem. These were popular in the late '70's and early '80's because they permitted shifting without having to lean down to reach down-tube mounted shift levers. Stem shifters, along with brake extension levers, encouraged riding using only the top of drop handlebars. This riding style was popular at the time, because many casual cyclists bought bicycles with drop bars for reasons of fashion and style, even though drop bars were not suited to their low-intensity riding style.

Unfortunately, this riding position gives rather poor control of the bike, mainly because the hands are too close together for good steering control.

Stem shifters also present a danger in a collision. Depending on what gear you have selected, stem shifters can be like having a dull knife aimed at your groin!

If your bike has stem shifters, consider upgrading to something safer and more convenient. '

Taken from his site so if there's any copyright issue please delete but I thought it worth adding here given his concerns!

Timotheus":2rjjq5zf said:
Bocama lugs - nice http://veloworks.com/lug_reference/boca ... 27002.html I like that fork with semi sloping crown and those ends could be campag 1010. If you opened the nut that holds the brake to the frame - and find a hole that is (a good few mm) larger than the bolt passing through it - the frame is recessed for allen bolts - this dates to approx early 80s. If not it's probably earlier.

Just taken a look at the hole and it isn't much wider that the bolt passing through it. Do I assume then that this is a 70's frame?

In some ways it’s adding up, but there are lots of weird variables. The bike came complete (from a friend – keen cyclist etc) with the frame being much better than the equipment. In other words the frame had been demoted for commuter use. Lots of cyclists will re-enamel a winter frame and stick (transfers) anything on it just to tart it up. A re-spray usually involves properly removing and refitting head-badge, so, do we assume that the badge has been fitted later? The frame is not old enough to be a proper Ernie Clements (not 100% on this) but could be a Falcon. The most famous being the San Remo, some of which did have mudguard eyes, but different lugs, crown and top-eyes and more. It was popular in the 70s not to have gear bosses (like yours) but the cable guides were usually on the top of the bottom bracket shell, yours runs underneath. If this is a plastic guide – it narrows the dating (more 80s), but also contradicts 70’s lack of bosses. In other words - lower end bikes would copy some of the top end developments but retain cheaper production methods - not recessing brakes, no bosses, clips and clamps etc. However, your frame looks proper and could have been built for someone to spec. I had a Dave Quinn frame that had 2 right Chain stays i.e. there was an indent on the outside of the left stay as well – never made sense to me. Contact Edward Clements at his shop in Leadbury www.cyclesclements.co.uk and he will probably be able to be conclusive on Falcon or EC. He is very helpful and seemed glad to be able to help me with questions about his Father’s business. You will find the answer but it might take a while. In the mean time – get on it and enjoy it.

Back