A quick question for Kona peeps..

Jonny46

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,

I've started buying a few bits for the '99 Explosif i recently bought. So far it's been a pair of Avid arch V brakes, Chris King headset and some new rims. The thing I'm struggling with are the specs of the the other parts.
Could somebody please tell what size front mech, bottom bracket and QR seat clamp I need? Looking on here and eBAy there are lots of things that look suitable but I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

On a slight tangent, what would be good upgrades for the bike whilst keeping it looking 'period' without being too anal with originality?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice given.

John

Depends on what forks you got with it, if it was the standard Z2's then giving them a service will do them the world of good and could be cheaper than buying new forks. If you got something different I'd look to a set of 80mm modern(ish) forks, Fox or Sid's for me.

welcome to the forum. if you go to the top of the page and go to the gallery&archive. You can work your way to the 99 kona catalogue. plenty of ideas there.

good luck with your hunting

Hamster, Cheers for that, so the best way is to get the chainset and then the bottom bracket I guess? I'm thinking Middleburn or Raceface, I think it has a very tired LX set on it at the minute.

Andy R, Thank you. I can now stop looking at stuff I know wont fit.

markwashington, It has Project 2 rigid forks fitted as the guy used it to commute, I was given a pair of Marzocchi Z4's with it but they are aesthetically challenged at best. I like the idea of a pair of SID forks and paint them to match the bike.

dablk, I'll head over there when I have time to kill, I need all the inspiration I can get as I want to build a nice capable bike that makes me smile when I look at it.

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.

:cool: :cool:

Back