Colnago – because they are worth it?

Very nice secondhand Colnago forsale at Pro Bikes in Hucknall, Seller wants a grand, its blue with yellow frames transfers and full Campag' groupset/rims.

Looks well worth it for a grand, frame size 22 inch's.
Sorry not pic's

171 Annesley Road
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
NG15 7DB
Telephone: 0115 956 1955

colnagolover":1b1l8cje said:
Very true, CCE - he was being paid by Molteni at the time (1972) and Molteni used Colnago bikes from '69 to '73, so perhaps he didn't have a choice...

Merckx freely chose Colnago, and the Molteni bikes were not marked as Colnago, so there was no money-related tie-in. Prior to that, he also had selected Masi to produce his Peugeot-branded frames. Merckx did however stop using Colnago bikes shortly after the hour record and moved onto De Rosa, where he stayed until the end of his career. He then had De Rosa set up his own factory and frame-building operation. De Rosa and Merckx also continued to share trade show space for more than a decade thereafter, so Merckx's preference has been clearly stated.

Thankyou for the additional, valuable background knowledge of which I wasn't aware - I was only aware of the fact that, for a number of years, Ernesto Colango had been a prized mechanic for Merckx before setting up shop and that Merckx and Colnago have had a close rtelationship ever since.

Great input - thank you.

main.php

My 3 little ladies... One in middle is being resprayed currently, after 16 years of use from new. The Master X-Lite on LHS is going to be stripped and the frame sold, so I can replace it with one in the right size. I thought I could make the smaller size fit, but it's always felt a little small when riding it. As you can see, the handlebars come up very low compared to the other two bikes. Other than that I got it pretty close.

90's master olympic

Interesting contris, have had 3 and used them all .. nice machines.. as i often say like owing a Ferrari and being ex motor trade i know how troublesome Italian cars can be.. that said on the right glass smooth road on the right day the ones i have owned and the master i still have really sing .. BUT on our broken third world b roads they can be teeth shattering awful.. straight forks don't help but the Buzz is not all coming from the front.. my 2 D's Worth..

Never owned one, but as a lad I was always fascinated about the Russian teams using Colnago. This lot charging down the road would certainly change the shade of my chamois insert. Arguably more effective than a nuclear war head.

Attachments

• CIMG0040.JPG
    CIMG0040.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 2,075
Bought a Colnago Master in 96/7 and remained in it's bubble rap and box until 2008. I could not help noticing that tiny specks of rust were forming on the rear triangle when I took it out of the box from time to time. The frame and box were kept in a very dry place over the years. I knew as soon as I built her up and exposed her to the elements the rust would fast appear and sure enough it did!

It's now a problem and I'm in two minds what to do about it! Put up with it or get her re-chromed and sprayed. Also when I first took delivery of the frame I could not help but feel disappointed with the finishing touches of the paint job it just looked like the paint work had been hastily done as there was very little attention to detail!

Good ride though!

Back