Graphics Tablets...

rosstheboss

Retrobike Rider
Anyone use one? Which one's are good/bad/hideous? I've had a look on Amazon and there's a few cheaper ones with very mixed reviews, not looking to spend loads of money, just one that works properly!

Any help gratefully received!

To be honest I would only ever buy a Wacom, my current one is 10 years old and still much better than the cheap ones out there.

Intuos 4 or the newer 5 is the one to go for. Bamboo is their cheaper one but not as good or long lasting as an Intuos - An A5 working area is the best size to go for in my opinion, that equates to a medium in the new sizes, but if it is for taking out and about you may want the smaller size.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
i have a wacom bamboo and love it. i dont use illustrator or photoshop without it :) using a mouse just feels wrong with those programs now :)

edit: this one:

Wacom+Bamboo+Silver+Tablet.jpg

I've tried a few:

WinTime Paintpal.
An older model Aiptek 12000 (Rebadged by many, Aldi, Lidl etc)
Wacom Volito A6
Wacom Graphire 4 (A5)
Intuos 3 A5

The Wacoms are the best by quite a way, so smooth and responsive. But, they are bloody expensive. It depends what you want to spend but I'd say the best value has been my Graphire XL, £25 off Ebay. It's damn smooth, not as smooth as the Intuos but not far off. And at the price of an Aldi Aiptek, I'd go for a Graphire 4.

It depends are your setup for the size, I use dual 4:3 monitors and sometimes have the tablet 1:1 on 1 screen only, or proportional over the 2 screen, 'wasting' an area of unused tablet. A wide screen ration tablet may help with my setup but to be fair I don't really notice and A5 covers 2x 21" 4:3 monitors with enough resolution.

My Aiptek has A4 working area and I just find it big. There's lots of arm movement on an A4, unless your slapping Painter art around maybe.

If you are buying second hand make sure it is a USB tablet as a lot of the older ones had a power supply and a serial link.

And my older Aiptek uses AAA battery in the pen, poo!
My A6 wintime is batteryless, serial connection and takes 5v from the PS2 KB/Mouse socket. Work OK with my old laptop, that said I don't use it anymore.

Thanks guys, I don't want to spend masses so I'm probably looking at this

http://amzn.to/WW3ROT

or this

http://amzn.to/WW3ROT

I'll be using it for a little bit of graphics work and web design so I won't be looking for a huge investment, does anyone have any experience of the Trust product? The reviews don't seem to bad or is the Wacom definitely worth the extra?

Ta!

Cant see the trust, at the time of writing both your links are identical and take you to the Wacom.

However I think by the way that every one has recommended wacom, it is probably the better bet.

Latest posts

Back