Raleigh Mustang SIS

Brindlescoops

Retro Newbie
I bought this last year, after seeing it for sale in just unbelievable condition, as I had one as a kid and covered thousands of miles on it. Its still my favourite ever bike because of what it gave me.

But. . . . My daydreams of popping to the pub on it etc have remained daydreams and the reality is that its just sat propped up the wall in the garage taking up space, watching the other modern bikes get used. So, Its got to go to give me some space back and to get some use.

It is as though someone locked this in a garage in 1989, after maybe owning for a year and looking after it and then forgot it until now. the chrome is all great (except for a few minor places which is very light and can be brought back within an hour of TLC, the seatpost moves perfectly - it even has the original tyres etc. I genuinely haven't done anything with it, except put air on the tyres and check the seatpost moves etc, but all of the bearings are still good and the condition overall is incredible for a 23 year old bike

There is the odd very minor slight surface rust in a few places, such as the edges of the seat post coller adjuster nut where the plating has been spannered off and 23 years of storage has allowed a bit of rust to form, but an afternoon with some autosol will have this looking superb. the only thing that probably needs st is the chain and cassette - again just surface rust, but would need a bit of elbow grease.

Its got to be worth £120 (but open to offers) to get a working mans classic in this condition, pick up from Basingstoke, but to get up to the Midlands regularly and into Bracknell, so might be able to meet somewhere around these areas / in between.

Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 2,273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 2,273

I 'may' be intrested but only if you could post, bet it ways 15kg, and not for me a xmas present for pals dad what size is it?

:shock: That is stunning :cool:

If it helps... Senditnow.com (parcelforce) 48 hour delivery, box up to 3 meters round (easily fit a bike in, have done several) and up to 35kg's = £12.60 inc vat ;)

My twin brothers first mtb, back at the end of the 80's. His one looked like yours for less than a day!

Thanks for posting, a nice bit of nostalgia for me.

Also my first 'mountain bike' - raced under-12 cyclo cross on one of these 19", 35lb beasts! :shock: :LOL:

legrandefromage":pnwoa9oe said:
A 'I know this site thrives on nostalgia but you are all mad!' type bump...

Wasnt for me!!! And he's got a montage now so he dosnt want it
GLWS tho

SIMONFREESE":cku4qr79 said:
My twin brothers first mtb, back at the end of the 80's. His one looked like yours for less than a day!

Thanks for posting, a nice bit of nostalgia for me.

Ha ha, I remeber going for the first ride on the original bike and getting a telling off when I got home for getting it dirty. Its amazing, I used to ride it, with no care, attention or lubrication and the only thing I ever remember happening was the chain breaking (i still have the scars), yet the extortionatly expensive MTB I ride now is treated like an Autistic self harmer that has to be cleaned lubed and tucked away hoping it doesnt self destruct on the next ride. It also weighs about twice what a modern bike does, i cant believe we used to ride 10 miles to Cannock Chase, spend all day riding round it, then ride home, oh to be 14 again. . . .

Back