What are your top 3 Italian frame brands?

Well I have a Rossin, Colnago, Alan and more modern Battaglin and Ciocc.

Plus projects on the go from Cerbai and Giai.

They're all lovely. But I still yearn for others... for example (bikes, as opposed to brands):

Rossin Ghibli
Colnago Master America
Gianni Motta Personal 2001 (in Italian Tricolour, of course)

If I was in the market for a new steel frame I think I'd be choosing from Pegoretti, Zullo and Tommasini..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Colnago Master America.jpg
    Colnago Master America.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,005
  • RG.jpg
    RG.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,006
i should think that after 6 days on the Skol, all you'd need is admission to hospital with acute alcohol poisoning!!

:LOL:

rusty bodie":vkmoyn2q said:
i should think that after 6 days on the Skol, all you'd need is admission to hospital with acute alcohol poisoning!!

:LOL:

6 days on Skol. Bleurgh. Would your taste buds work properly after that?

David

Colnago Super, Daccordi Furioso and Olagnero

no particular order, depends on my mood :)

Attachments

• DSCF0387-2.jpg
    DSCF0387-2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 955
  • DSCF0420.jpg
    DSCF0420.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 955
  • DSCF0388.jpg
    DSCF0388.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 955
i remember when we got one of these bianchi frames in the shop in the then new columbus MAX tubing - light and incredibly WIGID - i don't think that i'd ever been so close to buying an italian frame in my life...gorgeous!! anyone here own one?

bianchi-protomax-7435_2.jpg

craig

rusty bodie":2i00ad7z said:
i remember when we got one of these bianchi frames in the shop in the then new columbus MAX tubing
Are those standard Max seatstays? I don't recall seeing such fat stays on other Max frames.

Top 3: Colnago, Colnago and Colnago.

Untouchable and way out in front.

Next are Bianchi, Pinarello, Ciocc, Benotto, Alan, Cinelli, Olmo, De Rosa, Gios etc, ie a brand that's been ridden by a pro, particularly in the 70s and 80s.

Last are some mentioned so far: Tommassini, Pesenti, Pegoretti, Chesini, Masi, Pogliaghi, Marastoni, Passoni etc. These are brands that don't have much meaning to me.

Just IMHO BTW.

Surprised no-one's mentioned Mondonico, the noted "framebuilder of trust" to pros who thought their sponsors' team-issue machines weren't much cop. Although they did - and indeed still do - produce bikes branded as their own, too.

David

Back