(Not so) Freewheels

Yes it would have been strange in 1972, that's why I asked. because I have a supposedly 1975 frame with the same routing, and it would have been strange then, too. Funnily enough, my frame was a dead ringer for this one colourwise when I first got it too. I'm not the "Cable-Routing Authenticity Police" (acronym :) ) Just curious if anybody was routing cables that way before it became the norm in the '80s.

Anyway Old Ned doesn't seem to be in a hurry to "spill the beans", so we may as well return to the subject of freewheels. Edit: I just thought to do a search on this site about this bike.. that's a way not to have to ask clumsily.. :)

torqueless":3rn7w3za said:
Anyway Old Ned doesn't seem to be in a hurry to "spill the beans"

Cor, gimme a chance! I don't live on here 24/7! :shock:

The frame was resprayed around 1979 and I think at the time, the then owner had the DT gear lever bosses, bottle cage mounts and under BB cable routing added. I think that the gear cabling was over-bracket when I first got it in '72 (for 5-speed only so no front changer routing) which would have been correct for that date. I ran it single chainring for time trials with clamp on single DT lever (Campag of course). This is the trouble with some older frames, they might have been 'updated' at some time in their possibly chequered past and have slightly anachronistic fittings.

Ah yes.. :? :? :? this is getting complicated! difficult to talk about two things at once. If a moderator wants to split the thread, maybe between posts 7 and 8, it's OK with me.. the split-off thread could be called: 'Cable-routing anachronisms' or something.. Entirely my fault!

Usual UK trend was for the right hand brake lever to operate the front brake so the cables didn't cross. A bit tricky with Weinmann 500's LOL

Shaun

WTF Midlife, we're already talking about two things.. you just made it three! :) but yes.. I didn't notice that. I've always been a southpaw/continental brake cabler myself, except with Weinmann 500!... I like crossed cables!

Front left, back right. If it was good enough for Rik van Looy then it's good enough for me.

Front left, back right
yeah as long as you're on the bike.... If you're standing in front of it it would be front right, back left, right? :? :twisted: :)

Sorry I couldn't resist..

Getting back to your gear-cable routing, it must have occured to somebody before the '80s that the underside of the bracket shell was more or less a ready-made cable-guide for both derailleur cables... If somebody had those chrome clips for bracket cable-guide and chainstay stop, and the bracket cable guide broke, it would be a simple roadside makeshift to turn the chainstay-stop underneath the chainstay and route the cables under the bracket, no?

I left the bike shop in 1978 and to be honest it never occurred to me that the mech cables should go under the BB............dirt magnet IMHO.

Sometimes threw the front mech cable under the BB as a quick fix if we couldn't get a cable guide.....

Shaun

under the BB............dirt magnet IMHO

My experience is that the top-of-bracket braze-on cable guides attract dirt like nobody's business... Funnily enough I don't have nearly as much trouble with under-the-bracket. It might be down to individual bikes.. some bikes really do seem to attract more dirt than others.. and I don't think it is down to the colour. maybe these 'dirty' bikes are literally 'magnetic'?

Back