Mk2 Raleigh Bomber 1983 restoration project FINISHED

Dead Rats

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not an MTB but certainly better in here than the skinny section... always wanted one of these so I jumped at the chance to rebuild one for a nice chap called Mike in Holmfirth. Pic shows it as it is today, not too bad for 29 but more than starting to show it's age... note possibly period Renthal bar brace (which is staying), NOS Raleigh pedals and NOS SA shifter assembly (after original exploded some time ago!) and non OE forks & headset (original supplied by Mike).

the beast...
8220276591_91e99781bf_z.jpg

decal nirvana...
8221357942_b45da4666d_z.jpg

original 2.125" rims in decent condition...
8221358934_b28f7f19e0_z.jpg

A full restoration is one the cards now, must crack on now so please find plenty more pics and info here:

http://deadrats.co.uk/2012/11/raleigh-b ... -part-one/

:D

scan of the brochure, "you know the owner of a Bomber is not to be tangled with" :LOL: perhaps Lemmy had one? I certainly like to think so...

371261.jpg
:LOL:

and these DMR Supermoto 26 x 2.2" tyres are one of the only upgrades the bike is getting over spec as shown above (along with leather faced brake pads and a load of new stainless steel fittings):

dmr_supermoto.jpg

That looks a lot like the Vindec (?) Trekker (??) I had as a mere strapling. the frames looks the same with the bend near the seat tube. My bike had huge chrome reinforcement bars running from the fork crown to the dropouts.

This did not aid keeping the weight down much below a hundred-weight.

Mine had a three speed Sturmey setup.

Those are the coolest decal set ever!

Iwasgoodonce":1xqkp3yh said:
That looks a lot like the Vindec (?) Trekker (??) I had as a mere strapling. the frames looks the same with the bend near the seat tube. My bike had huge chrome reinforcement bars running from the fork crown to the dropouts.

This did not aid keeping the weight down much below a hundred-weight.

Mine had a three speed Sturmey setup.

Those are the coolest decal set ever!

What year was that?

This Bomber weighs in at a meaty 36lbs in old money... :shock:

The bolted on seat-stays are a feature I had forgotten about, that and the (150mm) cottered cranks* I imagine would make for an interesting ride quality off road... I know it's not intended for anything but road cruising but I bet loads of these got mashed up round the woods BITD!

* and those awful brakes!

Late 70s I reckon. Yup, you certainly had to book the brakes a week in advance. I think the Raleigh may be more up market.

Back