People selling on stuff for more than you sold it to them...

Splatter Paint":3afsxmgc said:
Yeah, that irritates me. Also, I always am honest when selling stuff and I've seen things surface that used to belong to me without thier price-dropping defect/issue mentioned. That is plain wrong. :x

SP
What irritates me most is someone posting on bike chat (+/- 1997) about a defect and then forgetting to mention this when selling the item and asking for 'full' rate price.

superstu":1pukpb21 said:
Splatter Paint":1pukpb21 said:
Yeah, that irritates me. Also, I always am honest when selling stuff and I've seen things surface that used to belong to me without thier price-dropping defect/issue mentioned. That is plain wrong. :x

SP
What irritates me most is someone posting on bike chat (+/- 1997) about a defect and then forgetting to mention this when selling the item and asking for 'full' rate price.
Sorry SP that wasn't aimed at you so apologies if it seemed that way. I was agreeing with what you wrote then adding to it!

The argument could be made that people want to make a bit of cash and if it's done with little or no advantage being taken then so be it and things are only worth what people are prepared to pay.
A couple of things that do get me a little is when a newcomer asks for advice on brakes or whatever someone pops up saying 'if you're looking to buy some brakes I have some for sale' without offering advice or council and just punting their wares and gold traders who take advantage pf Karma threads and are usually among the first to get in there.......mind you at the moment it seems like there are more traders than 'normal people on here at the moment ;)

Don't get me wrong I've had some good deals on here but also a couple of occaisions where I've paid at least double what the item was worth (possibly being taken advantage of after posting a wanted ad) with the description being optimistic to say the least, but you pay your money and take your choice.

When you buy something, it has changed ownership...........so do what you like with it......it's yours !

And we all could be accused of being a bit rash in buying and then selling '' my last bike/frame ever dear''...........we get things, they may not live up to our excited expectations, so we move them on again........hell if you can get your money back great.....if you can get a bit more and someone wants to pay what you have asked great....

......after all some items are reduced before they sell, because they have not been seen by all perspective buyers.....so when re-selling you may catch the eye of someone who may be 'happy' to pay a fuller price........it's thier cash, they can always say no.

Also we get stuff in the post sometimes and it's too big/small not quite as expected......so easier to pass it on than upset the seller by complaining.

Yep it does seem morally wrong but once its sold its sold!

Prices of some things are going up too...

tis an interesting thread this.

i regularly see the pounce on the newbie approach employed here, where someone finding their feet here sells things ridiculously cheap and the savvy speculators clear em out before the thread is 5 minutes old.

I learned this as a newbie from a jedi master, but with no hard feelings. its one of lifes lessons

what confuses me also is the postage thing, if i say, buy some shifters for £30. then realise i dont want or need them, if i sell em for £30, and say pay £5 in postage. Have i just lost £5 , as it seems i have now only £25 back with nothing to show for it, but then if someone did not take a hit somewhere along the way prices would just go up and up.

i have also bought bikes on ebay and broke and sold em here, again i say there is little return for a lot of work.

what i seem to see more of, is people buying here cheap and selling high on ebay, and im not sure how that sits with me

but then all is fair in love and RB i suppose, its all swings and roundabouts. My hobby has never funded itself, i still pour more in than i get back but do so happily

for me i rely on my own moral compass, i have as list of folks in my mind i wont deal with on RB or ebay. but also members who i will happily take offers from or pass things on to at what i paid or less as i know it will eventually come back to me, and has countless times.

i now prefer to sell things ridiculously cheap at RB meets , pays for my petrol sometimes, goods have been seen by the buyer, who also knows his onions and whether my price is a bargain or not .

I suppose thats the thing, if i got a bargain here , then turned up at a meet asking silly money for it i would expect to be called a cnut for it.
Same should go for sales threads really.

Back