Ride Suggestions for 2013

Going back through my mind of rides I've really enjoyed I'd say we should do the Temple Newsom ride and the Skipton ride again. The Horcum ride and Malham ride from a couple of years ago are also standout rides, I think. So too the Sherwood Pines ride, was that a Yorkshire NE one? Giant1's idea about a Dunsop Bridge ride sounds good and also Trebz's mentioning of a lower East Coast ride reminds me that I've never made it to any of the East Riding rides.

Looking out of the window I think Marctwotone's wish for a "dry winter" is possibly a little off the mark, personally to get out on a ride anywhere in the dry next year would be a result!!!!

drizzle not stopped down here all morning either.

In a funny sort of way i'm starting to think with it, rather than against it. one ride i'm developing has soggy sections(no double entendres please) ;) so, i'm mentally plotting round those known trouble spots, best i can.

we can fight the wet with clothing, closed mouths etc.. but, wet, cold and muddy just sickens you off and knackers your bike. :)

I never made the effort to sort out a "Last of the Summer Wine" ride round the Holme Valley - near me!

Never gets very muddy if you choose the right route. Rockiness is the motif generally, but so is cafe's, pub's and fish and chip shops!

Always going to be a fair percentage of road riding in with it as the bridleways don't link very well but what there is is very good! Certainly beats riding around Withernsea... :shock: :shock: ;)

Any interest?

Rob Atkin":y45fe4ti said:
I never made the effort to sort out a "Last of the Summer Wine" ride round the Holme Valley - near me!

Never gets very muddy if you choose the right route. Rockiness is the motif generally, but so is cafe's, pub's and fish and chip shops!

Always going to be a fair percentage of road riding in with it as the bridleways don't link very well but what there is is very good! Certainly beats riding around Withernsea... :shock: :shock: ;)

Any interest?

big interest. it's that westerly direction i was hoping to explore at some point.

i will hook up with you at some point early next year for a recce(by-word for scoff a chip butty) ;)

marc two tone":4gte0d3m said:
Rob Atkin":4gte0d3m said:

Any interest?

big interest. it's that westerly direction i was hoping to explore at some point.

i will hook up with you at some point early next year for a recce(by-word for scoff a chip butty) ;)

My mate has thought up a route... probably quite short but interesting and challenging....

Why mention the chip butty? I am so hungry now but need to lose the pounds.... chips won't help. :-(

found this in a route book from late 90's

over 'ull way. maybe chris and ben know it well. meant to be mainly off-road on a 'rail trail'. with views from paull to immingham. if it even exist anymore
could be a winter sort of ride from 'ull centre to holderness. a long distance per photo but, jumped on at any point i suppose, know this one?

PICT0353.jpg

There are two rail trails leading out of Hull Marc, the well known and well maintained one is on the old track bed of the Hull to Hornsea railway and is approx 15 miles in each direction so a decent 30 mile day out with fish n chips at halfway. Its going to be on the calender at some point probably in January as a local ride but as a word of warning it is very very flat and unless you enjoy railway history also very boring, having said that it will be a good leg stretch during the worst of the winter months.

The Hull to Withernsea rail trail only uses part of the old track bed and has to leave it where the old track goes onto now private land. Your map is a new one to me so if you can pm me any more details maybe we could sort a date to recce it?

Nice cafe in Patrington to the west side.
The south of there is a holiday park 'Patrington Haven' where Echoes Foundation (a disability charity) and Dove House Hospice (people soon to die charity) have caravans. Stayed there last year. so went down some of the back roads. Quite nice down near the Humber there.

We're on a Ride on Sunday on the opposite side, looking back across to Paull :)

Paull has Fort Paull Museum and could time it with some event there.

Chris, just done a search on Route11 - Hull... nothing came up but did find a chap mapping Hull and the area for OpenStreetMap. The few posts I've read are quite interesting, think I might end up skimming through all the posts to see what he found of trails and things. Cycle related too.
http://chris-osm.blogspot.co.uk/

Back