For anyone who has ever had a bike stolen

It amazes me that anyone would think being over the top in dealing with a situation is somehow laudable.

The owner of the bike we don't actually know about, but it seems being out of control is possibly being favoured.

Of course it takes strength both physically and mentally to restrain oneself and another until such times as those with authority can take charge of the situation.

The assailant clearly did not have such mental resolve, and that will come back to bite at some time in the future.

highlandsflyer":28knb22o said:
The assailant clearly did not have such mental resolve, and that will come back to bite at some time in the future.
Aye, bite the next guy who tries to rob him.

I sleep with half a snooker cue under my bed ever since some c**t climbed in a window in a previous flat and I didn't have anything to chib him with. Believe me if it happens again he'll be leaving in a bag.

I'm not particularly interested if anyone agrees or not, imo the right to defend yourself, your family or your property comes well ahead of thieves human rights and vague waffle about appropriate force. And that includes doing him when he's running away as well.

highlandsflyer":28knb22o said:
The assailant
You mean victim.

...and you would be leaving in wrist ties, and sleeping in a cell for a few years.

It is all too easy to talk big, but live in fear.

My sense of perspective is anything but vague.

It is just a bike.

What is with the snooker cue?

You going to challenge them to a round of Pot Black?

Knives to gunfights and all that.

Statistics show that nine out of ten people who carry their own snooker cues get beaten in the best of five frames.

I'm with you highlandsflyer. Don't mind a little self/property defense, but you can take it too far, and it looks like the guy in the link took it too far. Reasonable force I can agree with, but that was OTT. We are all human, and some people go as far as say better than animals, so we ought to try and act like it.

highlandsflyer":17f4vvf8 said:
...and you would be leaving in wrist ties, and sleeping in a cell for a few years.
Not so sure, I'm reading more sensible stuff recently about victims of crime and protecting their rights to protect themselves.

highlandsflyer":17f4vvf8 said:
It is just a bike.
Fnck it, that's all right then. Don't know why we bother locking them up tbh.

I'm not talking about a bike, more breaking and entering. Although that said if I caught a guy stealing my bike I doubt I'd be standing back watching and waiting for Dibble.

I've always thought going for the knees is best, safer than possibly killing him with a head blow and yet having the satisfaction of knowing he'll be crippled for evermore. Won't have any use for anyone else's bike either.

Problem is none of us know how we'd react in the situation so any talk is just that. All I know is having been in a similar situation I'd rather be ready the next time. And I will be.

technodup":1iwx2ojh said:
highlandsflyer":1iwx2ojh said:
Not so sure, I'm reading more sensible stuff recently about victims of crime and protecting their rights to protect themselves.

highlandsflyer":1iwx2ojh said:
It is just a bike.
Fnck it, that's all right then. Don't know why we bother locking them up tbh.

I'm not talking about a bike, more breaking and entering. Although that said if I caught a guy stealing my bike I doubt I'd be standing back watching and waiting for Dibble.

I've always thought going for the knees is best, safer than possibly killing him with a head blow and yet having the satisfaction of knowing he'll be crippled for evermore. Won't have any use for anyone else's bike either.

Problem is none of us know how we'd react in the situation so any talk is just that. All I know is having been in a similar situation I'd rather be ready the next time. And I will be.

Not so, plenty of us have been in the situation. I assume my reactions will be fairly consistent.

You will find that the talk of letting householders off with more extreme reactions to burglary etc. is a) mainly just talk, the laws remain fairly much the same regarding excessive force and b) the Westminster lot don't make our law!

Nothing wrong with using a household item to defend yourself, in the event you have no option.

Everyone here has jumped to a strong conclusion.

Consider that they actually DID get into a 50:50 fight, and the owner came off just as bad?

Don't believe the american media - they put a very heavy spin on things.

Back