shimano brake bleeding

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
anyone use the plastic chocks to help bleed? or do they take the chance and just leave the brake still attached with disc and pads all assembled?

wanted to try bleeding some of my brakes like this fella (mounted on some spare bars on a bike stand):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFuwoEYvt_w

but this chap has one of them yellow chocks (which dont seem to exist)....

is there anything lying around the house that i could use? i got some plastic glazing window packers like these:

window_packers.jpg

wondering if they'll do:

I do; I remove the wheels and the pads and pop the little blocks in between the pistons. If you don't have the yellow blocks, use whatever you have.

I use avid pad spacers:

Elixir_CR_pad_spacer-670-75.jpg

I say that, when i bleed i use an old set of pads then let some fluid out when i push the pad spacer in after changing pads to new set.

I've got the propper shimano bleed kit which clamps onto of the Master cylinder which makes it a bit easier as you don't need to work 2 syringes at the same time. But the bleed method is exactly the same.

The method works spot on though just make sure you've got plenty of oil available. IMO the creation of the vacuum is the most important part to make sure any air is out of the caliper

dvatcmark":mtp0rcv8 said:
IMO the creation of the vacuum is the most important part to make sure any air is out of the caliper

is that the part where he sucks back about 5ml of the 10ml he's just pumped in?

Back