1983 Raleigh Rapide W.I.P. - links for newbies added

Hmmmmmmmm I hope you are patient. I am a week behind as the LBS let me down and i had all week off work. Back to work again on Sunday so time is precious again - but i will try to make some progress once i get the LBS to sort out the headset and BB.

I might post a pic of me 'out on the pop' - in an hours time - maybe not, the bike is prettier even when stripped!

TGR":1w7zi2jd said:
I might post a pic of me 'out on the pop' - in an hours time - maybe not, the bike is prettier even when stripped!

''Holy mackerel Batman we can't take the shocks no more''

Interestung the subtle differences a year make. I've got a "rapide" decal on the top tube and silver chain stay protector. The hoods had a different logo and the seat is brown suede. Sadly I had to bin the leather straps :-(

Your paint is in great nick though, much better than mine and I agree they look sweet stripped down. Have a look in the bb tube; can you see how the seat tube fits into the lugged piece? Super cool isn't it?

Al-onestare

I removed the Rapide decal on the top tube and the Raleigh decal on the seat tube a long time ago. I will probably replace the TT decal not sure about the Raleigh one yet.

As per a few posts, i removed the chainstay protector to clean the frame and i find that these are now hard to obtain - so far, impossible to obtain! Stupid of me to remove it before i had sourced a new one!

I have not found my original seat yet but it will turn up.

How is your build going?

Stronglight A9 is that? Lovely headset, I have one on my Lo-Pro, piece of cake to fit. I think I used a rubber mallet and it literally tapped its way in. Took all of 10 mins I think. :D

Martin,

Yup, A9 aluminium headset. I will get the LBS to fit it and next time, i expect i will do it myself - same with the BB.

Must give ebay a look for a mallet now! I can add it to my hammer collection.

Regarding the pics on previous pages, i note that no one (including Mr Raleigh - who misses very little) noticed the damaged part in one of he pics.

I am not changing the part as i think it is like a war wound! I just wonder when it got broken...

Also, i have re-sized the pics - as per Tel's advice - thanks Tel! Keep polishing!

TGR":3tkwsvvf said:
Regarding the pics on previous pages, i note that no one noticed the damaged part in one of he pics.
I am not changing the part as i think it is like a war wound! I just wonder when it got broken...
Damaged/broken! Which bit/part :?:

Ian, that is the test!!!!! If i told you it would be no fun - LOLOOLOL i am guessing you have not found it.

Keep trying, you may win Wolber rims!!!

TGR":lk1yt4dg said:
Keep trying, you may win Wolber rims!!!
You can keep the Wolber rims!

Is the broken part the front mech' or is it a seam line in the alloy ? My eyes are hurting from all the staring.

9CapmyFrontMech.jpg

Back