Orange Prestige differance

That is the same styling as a '1992' Prestige in my opinion.
Just like this A203xxx erial
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165204
IMG_0436-1.jpg

By A209xxx the clockwork had moved to top tube routing front mech and had the splayed brake stay boss
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222252
img_4750_145.jpg

Now to find an earlier Clockwork. A20...

As I think the late A1xx may have still had the Prestige style hanger ?

Karmann":2i2c2l02 said:
FluffyChicken":2i2c2l02 said:
I've found the style of bike I was looking for and if it dates early 1992 then yours will be a Prestige.

IMG_0718.jpg

Im getting confused now

That's a Clockwork in the picture.

- Early pre-92 clockworks as far as I know used the same style rear canti cable stop on the stay as seen in the early Orange/White clockwork above with the offset stay/toptube, I'm sure I've seen it on a later one with the normal setstay/toptube setup like yours.

- Late 92 Clockworks (mentioned above, have top tube routed cables) have the 'clockwork splayed style. Prestiges the 'Prestige style' stop.

- Your bike lies in the changeover period.
Bottom Pull, early 92's. So it certainty of being a Prestige cannot be give yet.

But if a Clockwork like the one shown* dates early 92, which I believe it should, then that means they had changed with that style of '92' frame and yours must be a Prestige.

And also creates a reference :)

(*unfortunately it cannot be read so need to look for another.)

This is turning into quite a discussion, all this info is very interesting that's for sure, maybe everyone with a confirmed Prestige should post up some pics with dates etc. what should the weight be of a bare frame Prestige and Clockwork both in 17" size?

weights

17 Clockwork would be between 4pounds four ozs and 4 pounds 7ozs a prestige considerably less. I've had two, a 17 that weighed 4lbs-1.5ozs and a 15 that weighes sub 4 pounds.
Orange were always tinkering with Geometry and evolving frames even in the same year and of course a lot will not remember, but a lot of frames were built to order and customers spec'. not just colourways. Weight is the best determinging factor between the two for sure.

I weight the comets bike last night, it's comes in at 25.4lbs spec is as follows
Shimano STX headset,
Orange Hot Rod bars,
Orange Sk8 stem,
lock on grips,
Shimano STX Shifter/lever combos,
Mavic TIB 230 Champagne Rims with Shimano STX hubs,
Panaracer Smoke & Dart amberwall tyres,
Shimano STX Cantis, Crank, rear derailleur,
Deore LX Front Derailleur,
cage pedals,
Orange Lite Stalk seatpost,
Orange Leather saddle

So does this now confirm its a prestige?

Karmann":25484skq said:
It's a built up bike so I'll strip it down and weigh it

This may be your best bet, a weight of 25lbs with the kit you listed doesn't help too much I'm afraid, a weight of the frame alone, along with the other identifiable features may help in tying it down to a particular model though.

If I was a betting man I'd err towards your frame being a 1992 Prestige, based on the cable guide layout, canti hanger design, seat tube reinforcement etc.

jimo746":2xli4q0e said:
Karmann":2xli4q0e said:
It's a built up bike so I'll strip it down and weigh it

This may be your best bet, a weight of 25lbs with the kit you listed doesn't help too much I'm afraid, a weight of the frame alone, along with the other identifiable features may help in tying it down to a particular model though.

It unfortunately doesn't help, but what I mentioned previously pretty much determines it as a Prestige. Have you tried Orange with the serial number just to see if they can confirm or not ?

Back