Who has owned their Retrobike from new?

I've had my Clockwork since 1990 although back then I bought it as a F+F and built it up with an LX groupset and some other fairly cheap bits. I've upgraded it a bit since and now it's just the F+F, tyres and XT pedals that are from the original bike.

Attachments

• Clockwork1 - Mar 12.jpg
    Clockwork1 - Mar 12.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 586
Come to think of it, yes I have. In the early 90s I won a competition on a box of cereal or something, and the prize was a Townsend Aardvark.

ssa52744_203.jpg

Picture shamelessly stolen from... this very forum!

In the early 90s I was considerably too small to ride a full size bike. So my mother wrote to them and they sent a child's bike, and this one was put in the garage... until 2006 when I went to uni in York. It was my trusty steed on approximately one journey, and spent the rest of the year chained to a railing outside my accommodation. I would occasionally use it to play 'bike-tennis' and it ended up in the lake more than once. We always fished it out, though.

At some point I lent it to a friend-of-a-friend, but by the time of graduation he hadn't returned it, and I was convinced I'd never see it again. Well, actually, I'd forgotten about it.

Until one day I came home from work (I had changed courses and worked in a bike shop for 18 months or so to raise funds) and I saw it in the front garden! Apparently the friend-of-a-friend had given it to his friend with the instructions to return it to my house when he no longer needed it!

It was in a bad way. Both mechs were seized up and the rear wheel was pringled. I rebuilt the brakes, found a new wheel in a skip, and converted it into a singlespeed, and used it as a hack for about six months when the BB crumbled into nothing.

I tried to give it to a bike recycling charity but they weren't interested. Oh well, I left it in the city centre... two weeks later, and it was still there. Then, one day, it was gone. Finally!

Eventually I moved away from York (*sniff*). I hired a van to move my stuff but it was significantly cheaper to return the van to York and catch the train home than it was to do a one-way journey in the van... so, back up to York, locked up my house for the last time. I was walking to the station along the river and saw a bike lying in a wooded area... a closer look, and it was that bloody bike again! So, I rode it to the station (it really was unrideable by this point), left it unlocked, got the train and never saw it again... for now!

That's my story about the world's worst bike.

GT LTS 3000 DS

Bought it from Leisure Lakes in 98 (from memory). Was £600 or thereabouts. First thing I did was cut the forks down. They were RST hi 5s (I know), but I was doing mainly trail riding and the like, and didn't need the extra weight. I got a Mozo crown (I think), and the stanchions fitted, so there we go.
I've not really ridden it that much the last ten years (kids and bike touring taking priority), but I've moved to the country now, and there are trails which it was born for.

It's funny, but much as I've tried a few more modern bikes (always looking to throw money at bike, new and old), but I've never been happy with the feel of them compared with my LTS. Maybe it's just because it was my first (and only ) full suspension, and it's all I've known, but nothing seems yet to work for me like it does.

I'm just concerned now that something's going to snap. I've heard bad things about the linkage, but I have to say, I've never had the slightest problem with mine. How that's how it stays.

I'm thinking about changing the forks now that I'm doing more riding. I've messed with them recently, and I actually think they work okay. But I'd be interested to see how she'd do with something decent.

Oh, and I want to put the original chain ring back on (LX) - it's on another bike I was using for off road touring. The one on a the moment, though it works, is just wrong. Only other change was a shorter stem. It's from the era, though, so I'm not worried about that. Oh and pedals. Changed them, as well. The originals were just too small.

i-Dqk948c-M.jpg
[/img]

I've had my 1996 Kona Sex One since new. It has been upgraded multiple times, but was sidelined a few years back due to a hairline crack and worn linkage. Pulled the parts i could and transfered them to a 2007 Kona Kikapu Deluxe.

Attachments

• DSCF0535.jpg
    DSCF0535.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 502
  • Kona Sex One1.jpg
    Kona Sex One1.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 502
  • DSC02016 2.jpg
    DSC02016 2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 502
Anymore for this thread? Anyone managed to find some old pics to add to their posts?

kaiser":2nr0nqwk said:
Have you still got one of your first mtb's? Do you still ride it? Faithful companion. Show us some pics and a bit its of story.
I've still got my 2nd MTB from kinda BITD - albeit a bit late on from BITD as it's a 95 Apex, that is almost entirely stock, and still in really nice condition.

Trouble is, it's in the loft, in bits, as an on-going clean and polish job. The only pics I have aren't very good.

I've used bikes acquired here in favour of it in recent times, but in sort of homage, I've got every intention of building another like it as a hack bike.

Bought my '92 LD from Noah's Ark in Stroud in Feb 1993. Made some up grades at time of sale - LX chainset, short cage DX r/mech, DX f/mech, 12-28 chrome cassete and sedis gold chain. I later added the Rolls saddle in '95 and LX rear canti brake in '94.

Attachments

• 2012-07-25 20.36.04 (Medium).jpg
    2012-07-25 20.36.04 (Medium).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 322
iboc...

Mongoose iboc...whata bike and what a beard... Hope your still rocking that look on that bike... Perfect

How did you manage to hang on to them? After numerous moves and marriages and financial ups and downs? Sadly I have very little 'original' stuff. Now in the process of re-buying similar items.

Back