Who needs FS?

''passive influence of the rear suspension design. '' your gonna have to explain that one to me..........

As far as i'm concernd a '' fully locked out '' sus bike is acting as a hardtail.....if it is fully locked out, not on a weak blow off, or pro peddle type thingy. Yup a lot of sus bikes locked out aren't as 'crisp' in the rear end, but some are, when locked out.

So a comparison with an active rear end is no comparison if the shock is locked out.

The trail surface in the vid is relativly smooth, no rock gardens or multiple roots........pretty smooth...........

I still say on that terrain fs is no advantage apart from the extra comfort. Just my oppinion
:D

Was your comparison with or without the sus locked out cos now i'm confused as to what i thought you were originally saying ?

I thought you said this ''I can see plenty of sections there where full suss could be an advantage.''

With active sus i would say hardtail has advantage in that terrain

With sus locked out they would be very similar indeed if weights are close

All depends on the sus bike too..........older xc bikes full of small pivots did have a ' pick up' lag as it were.......but newer xc bikes with much stiffer designed rear ends and larger sealed bearings are very stiff when locked out.

A DH bike would have a weight penality usually.

greenstiles":iiar5aqn said:
Was your comparison with or without the sus locked out cos now i'm confused as to what i thought you were originally saying ?

I thought you said this ''I can see plenty of sections there where full suss could be an advantage.''

Isn't it clear?

..and yes I did say that. We are still on the same page here, where is the confusion?

:roll:

''I can see plenty of sections there where full suss could be an advantage''

so please explain why you think there would be an advantage ?...you mentioned speed...is that it ?

I think if you had the same confident rider doing the same trail twice but swapping between ht and an active fs.........he would be faster on the ht.

greenstiles":rvotec47 said:
''I can see plenty of sections there where full suss could be an advantage''

so please explain why you think there would be an advantage ?...you mentioned speed...is that it ?

I think if you had the same confident rider doing the same trail twice but swapping between ht and an active fs.........he would be faster on the ht.

Seems we have a difference of opinion.

How odd.

They are not hammering that track in the video.

It is all about the movie.

Given a race scenario that would be full suss territory, full stop.

greenstiles":2tq3kh7z said:
I still say on that terrain fs is no advantage apart from the extra comfort. Just my oppinion
:D

Dunno, possibly fs wouldn't wash out at the back as much so you could take a cleaner line but a cloud of dust really impresses the chicks....

Another 'OMGHARDTAIL' vid HERE

Would a FS rig be twice as fast? Definitely. Is he getting twice the kick by wrestling a HT down through the roots & rocks? Maybe...

Back