Purchasing on Retrobike

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Morning all,

I was wondering what is the best way to purchase items on Retrobike. The sales thread mention NOT to use PayPal gift - so what are the other options?

Also, PayPal fees - what is the thinking on these? Should buyer or seller absorb the fees - albeit this is in contravention on the advice NOT to use gifts.

Thanks all

I think it depends on the seller and the item.

When I bought a rolling chassis from a member I just used paypal and the seller paid the fees. On other occasions the seller has made it clear that the price is the price, and so I have paid the fees (if there are any to pay) and with smaller items or trading with people I know / have bought from previously, I have used paypal gift option.

In general, on anything of any value, I would never use the gift option, preferring to absorb the fees myself and have the reassurance of at least some protection if things go awry.

Using the the gift option ensures you waive your rights to any recompense should things go belly up...

PayPal seems to be the most popular method.

If I'm selling items, I see PayPal charges as the cost of doing business in a safe way, and absorb the fees myself. I might consider offering a small discount for cash, cheque, or bank transfer, but so far I think all my sales have been via PayPal.

For purchases, I've never been entirely comfortable using PayPal gift, even if I know and trust the seller. A gift is a gift. A purchase is a purchase. PayPal provide a service, and they have the right to make a profit.

Time and again we've seen that sales can go bad, even among long-term members. PayPal provides some cheap security for both parties. Who pays for that is a matter for buyer and seller to settle for themselves.

Thanks for the replies,

I am new to PayPal and to ebay and to here so i am still learning how things work.

Could someone clarify what exactly a PAyPal gift is? Is it the 'send money to friends/family' option?

If it is the 'buy goods' option i think the seller absorbs the cost - if this is the case, would i have to tell the seller?

I am also guessing from the above that this is the normal option for payment as no one mentioned cheques or bank transfers.

Sorry for my denseness.

TGR":du0tg4go said:
Could someone clarify what exactly a PAyPal gift is? Is it the 'send money to friends/family' option?
Yes - it's under " send money / personal / gift "

If it is the 'buy goods' option i think the seller absorbs the cost - if this is the case, would i have to tell the seller?
Most sellers know that there are fees involved in using PayPal. If they don't ask you to cover them, just PayPal the agreed amount. If they do ask you to cover the fees you'll need the check the applicable percentage and add it to the sum you transfer. Communication is the key. If a seller won't talk to you, buy elsewhere.

I am also guessing from the above that this is the normal option for payment as no one mentioned cheques or bank transfers.
I did!

As I said, PayPal is the most common method as it's quick, convenient (once you've set up an account) and quite safe. You can always ask if a seller will accept other means of payment. The various methods have their own advantages and disadvantages.

I always request for payment via gift especially when I sell a bike. I'd like to think that I'm prominent enough on the forum that people will trust me. Also being a trader excellent customer service is high on my list of priorities.

I also pay via gift cos I'm a trusting kinda guy.

I do prefer bank transfers they're easy enough these days with Internet banking. What I haven't tried yet is Barclays Ping which seems like a good option for online trading.

I also use Moneybookers (think they're called Skrill now) who offer similar services to PP but are cheaper.

I don't mind paying the PayPal fees if made clear BEFORE a sale is agreed, twice now (not on Retrobike thankfully) I've paid for something only for the seller to turn round and ask for more to cover the fees. That's not on in my humble opinion.

All of the above is why I like bike jumbles.Both parties can see whats involved.If you don't like it ....no postage faffing....No....one claiming it is not as pictured or is not that,this....all that pliffle.

I always ask for cheque or cash, I don't use Paypal. No difficulties so far either way - although it appears a cheque has got lost in the post but only a small amount so not worth cancelling. The replacement cheque has arrived OK and I trust the buyer (long term RB member) so if it appears on my statement then - ?

Back