Dismantle LOOK pedals ?

it works

wow - that was easy. you're right, few judicious taps with a hammer and punch and apart it comes. thanks for the tip!

yes, the axles come out very easily too - undo the cap at the end, undo the nut inside, gently tap out axle and end bearing. not sure about the one's with a lockring and no dust cup, but doesn't look too difficult.

Re: pin

531 pro":2k1rnn9o said:
I'm liking the sound of this - got 6 sets of old look deltas which everyone laughs at me because they look like a brick on the bottom of your shoe, but I like them and want to restore them. I'm gonna try this!

I have 4 sets of Look Delta as well ... Even have them on the Felt F5 !

Thanks for the info lads .. All worked a treat ;)

Re: pin

531 pro":1ujm24g4 said:
I'm liking the sound of this - got 6 sets of old look deltas which everyone laughs at me because they look like a brick on the bottom of your shoe, but I like them and want to restore them. I'm gonna try this!

One of the staff in a LBS reckons that although the new Keo type weighs less, the old PPxxx series have superior bearings. I've certainly no complaints about the Delta pedals mechanically and am still using a plastic-bodied pair. Although the way that the paint flakes off the diecast-bodied ones drives me nuts....

David

Ive got a set of the old red and white pp66 ones and have dismantled everything. So far so good. My intention is to repaint the pedal body or possibly powdercoat...question is this. Inside the crank side of the pedal body is a neddle roller bearing. Does anybody know how to remove this?

Hi
I have the same problem.
As far as I know there is no practical way of removing it. After a lot of research I could only find a book (old bike repair manual) that stated that a special tool existed but it was nearly impossible to get and also that even with the tool it was very difficult to remove and also very difficult to put back in place.
You might try to clean it properly and powdercoat the pedal with the bearing inside. Not sure if it will survive the heat.
If you find a solution please let us know.

I was looking up needle bearings and it seems that they are quite common in Car parts etc. A garage may well have a removal tool. However. Inside the bearing in mine there is a rubber washer. I have removed the washer and that leaves a 1-2mm gap from the "needles" to the bearing casing. I think I may be able to fashion a tool similar to a headset cup remover that might pop the bearing out. Failing that a screwdriver should be able to bodge it out. The bearing would then of course be useless.

If i can then source the correct size of bearing to replace then it could be re- fitted after powder coat by using the pedal axel itself, ie tightening the axel in place without the opposite side bearing.....

Does this make sense? I'll have to give it a go. I have two pedals there to experiment on after buying what i though was a pair, turned out to be two left hand pedals!

Latest posts

Back