Frightening ride today!

Well done Ian for taking it the distance ! Hopefully that numpty gets a can of whipass opened up on him followed by a nice big slice of humble pie...!

Glad you didnt get wrote off !

I commute every day and in fairness have had very little in the way of incidents ! Its the 1% of bad and inattentive drivers give the 99% of careful courteous drivers a bad name....!

tarloone said:
Scary moment but thankfully looks like its not been taken lightly. How were you riding at the time of the event....2 abreast, single file? Be good to get some info.

When riding with just 2 of us, I tend to do single file as feel very vulnerable riding 2 up side by side.

I recommend reading this book, i teach people to cycle and bikeskills a lot and i always give it out as homework:shock:
http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

Ian Raleigh":2kqgtg6p said:
TGR":2kqgtg6p said:
Ian,
Get onto the Police - Careless Driving!! A whiskey to calm - Doctor's Orders and Persil!
Bingo Neil & Richard!!

Just had a return phone call from the area Managing Director about the report and it
hasn't gone down too well with him as he cycles to work and 'all' the drivers are trained to
overtake safely. I gave the Manager a full report of the incident and he is to drag the driver in
Monday morning and is to seriously sort him out to the point he even may sack him as he doesn't
want dangerous drivers on his team. Manager will be phoning me back Monday afternoon.

Reporting drivers to the Police around here is worthless as they have no interest in any such reports.

Whisky later on!

Back of the net! Glad you got a positive outcome from the driver's boss, also refreshing to hear that some firms' "How's my driving? Phone this number...."-type policies aren't just hot air. Oddly I had a very similar run-in years ago with a waste disposal contractor's lorry - a scary episode indeed.

David

All the top riders are getting knocked off their bikes these days... that's probably why I feel so smugly, stupidly safe.. :)

Seriously though... when I'm out and about and hear some metal box coming up behind me, I mentally visualise me and my bike surrounded by a sort of truncated granite pyramid that has foundations deep in the earth.. the sort of thing that would seriously damage anything that drove into it.. It's a mind game.. That imaginary structure conveys this subliminal message to metal box and it's driver: "If you get too close to me, it is YOU that is going to get the worst of it, big and ugly as you are... :twisted: "

Try it sometime.. before you dismiss me as a deluded weirdo.... :)

Sounds a positive outcome, glad the company took it seriously.

A while back got sent into a ditch by a bus on a country lane. Took it up with the company but felt I only got lip service and basically they couldn't give a sh*t.

tarloone":3lylasey said:
Scary moment but thankfully looks like its not been taken lightly. How were you riding at the time of the event....2 abreast, single file? Be good to get some info.
When riding with just 2 of us, I tend to do single file as feel very vulnerable riding 2 up side by side.
Anyhow, hope this prick gets his arse back ont plate!
On main roads we never ride two abreast as it is to dangerous, only on rarely used by traffic back lanes do we ride two abreast.

No phone call as yet from the Director of Biffa! I will be phoning up tomorrow though, like a dog with a bone.

Funny how we differ. Busy roads often mke me and mates ride 2 wide. It makes( we feel) cars wait for a gap in oncoming traffic to pass rather than try and squeeze by without crossing the white line. Sharp pulling ins are less unpleasant as well. Does get a few horns but that means we have been seen.
Each to their own.

do give them a call this thread is now available on twitter :oops: and 2Biffa have thanked 2Retrobike for the mention so you could ask for a reason why this has been done without resolution?

Received phone call today from Biffa and the driver has been called in and has a written warning on his file about the dangerous overtake.

The driver said he did see us but thought he had left us enough room! Shame he doesn't think about the safety of other road users.

I feel satisfied by the reply from the gaffer of Biffa and this driver hasn't 'got away with it' and hopefully drive more safely.

Cheers.
Ian.

Back