What are your top 3 Italian frame brands?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
Never actually owned an Italian frame, unless you count my old Columbus SL CX bike (Edison) and SLX road bike (Cougar, apparently built by Terry D. himself). Having said that, based on Cycling Weekly ads of my teenage years, Tommasini and Ciocc looked pretty cool with their chrome and smart paintwork. More recently, when I lived in Otley, Boneshakers in nearby Harrogate always had a steel-framed Scapin or two in the front window, which looked quite tidy and a refreshing change from the chunky alloy and carbon machines.

David

If you have not ridden the bikes you are judging, this would therefore solely demonstrate the power of marketing. The more correct question should therefore be "What are the top three Italian frame brands that you know personally and have ridden."

My answer to this question would be based upon my knowledge, ownership and riding of the following brands (all are bikes in my size that I bought with the intention of riding/keeping and not to flip): Alberti (one owned and sold), Bianchi (many owned and sold, one still owned), Boeris (one owned and sold), Chesini (one owned and sold), Chiorda (one owned, however built by De Rosa), Ciclo Piave (one owned and sold, another one still owned), Cinelli (many owned and sold, three still owned), Colnago (over a dozen owned and sold), De Rosa (many owned and sold, 4 still owned), Fossati (one owned and sold, one still owned), Gios (two owned and sold), Gloria (many owned and sold), Grandis (two owned and sold), Legnano (one owned and sold), Marastoni (two owned and sold, 4 still owned) Marnati (one owned and sold), Masi (over a dozen owned and sold, one still owned), Olmo (one owned and sold), Olympia (one owned and sold), Passoni (one owned), Pinarello (one owned and sold), Pogliaghi Two owned and sold), Rigi (one owned), Romani (multiple owned and sold), Umberto Dei (two owned and sold), Vetta (one owned and sold), Vianello (one owned and sold), Zanardi (two owned and sold, one still owned). I'm probably forgetting some other too...

My answer in alphabetical order would be:

De Rosa, Marastoni and Passoni

Citoyen du monde":1yy3j01q said:
If you have not ridden the bikes you are judging, this would therefore solely demonstrate the power of marketing. The more correct question should therefore be "What are the top three Italian frame brands that you know personally and have ridden."

My answer to this question would be based upon my knowledge, ownership and riding of the following brands (all are bikes in my size that I bought with the intention of riding/keeping and not to flip): Alberti (one owned and sold), Bianchi (many owned and sold, one still owned), Boeris (one owned and sold), Chesini (one owned and sold), Chiorda (one owned, however built by De Rosa), Ciclo Piave (one owned and sold, another one still owned), Cinelli (many owned and sold, three still owned), Colnago (over a dozen owned and sold), De Rosa (many owned and sold, 4 still owned), Fossati (one owned and sold, one still owned), Gios (two owned and sold), Gloria (many owned and sold), Grandis (two owned and sold), Legnano (one owned and sold), Marastoni (two owned and sold, 4 still owned) Marnati (one owned and sold), Masi (over a dozen owned and sold, one still owned), Olmo (one owned and sold), Olympia (one owned and sold), Passoni (one owned), Pinarello (one owned and sold), Pogliaghi Two owned and sold), Rigi (one owned), Romani (multiple owned and sold), Umberto Dei (two owned and sold), Vetta (one owned and sold), Vianello (one owned and sold), Zanardi (two owned and sold, one still owned). I'm probably forgetting some other too...

Blimey. All I can say is that you must have a very impressive collection of bikes as there's some crackers in there.

Alan

TGR":3iy4j8vy said:
In my teens i oogled older guys on their new Alans. They were so expensive to me at that time, that i never even asked what they cost. The old expression - if you have to ask how much, you cannot afford it.

I stuck to my Rapide which is still going 29 yers later, i wonder if the Alans are still going.

this shows the 2013 range

http://www.alanbike.it/

Citoyen du monde":2jilscvg said:

Amazing list of ex's.

My opinions are the result on marketing and what our heros were riding when we were kids.

I think wiggos win on a pinarello has given the brand a boost in the uk making it more mainstream.

Italian bikes

My top 3 are

1. Battaglin - I used to import them
2 Gios - I used to race with the De Vlaeminck's on them
3 Bianchi - Marco rode one !!!!

Back