How to revise my Trek 8700 1994?

Denso_Retro

Retro Guru
Hello all!!

I want to restaurate my Trek 8700 carbon from 1994.

Does anyone know how to get the purple frame colour? Or colour number?

And how to make those carbon tubes look new again..

Thanks a lot!! :D :D

Welcome,

Were you thinking about food when you wrote 'restaurate', certainly got me thinking of stuffing my face :oops:

Somebody on here has all the info and help you'll need ;)

Is it a 93 8700 or a 94?? I own a purple/carbon one which is from 93, it is equipped with deore dx. Did you also bought the black 9900 which was for sale on Marktplaats?? (was also interested in that one..)

I have tried to restore a 8700 frame. Striping the painting on aluminium parts is easy with classic technics. For the carbon tubes, I used a cutter blade and I "shaved" the tubes ( the blade have to slide on the tube) for removing the old gelcoat /varnish. Don't use abrasive paper, you would destroy the carbon.
After, just a new P.U varnish and the look new ! (You could keep them with nothing on them...)
;)

dalecooper":2aqa6o0j said:
Is it a 93 8700 or a 94?? I own a purple/carbon one which is from 93, it is equipped with deore dx. Did you also bought the black 9900 which was for sale on Marktplaats?? (was also interested in that one..)
Mine is a 1994 8700 carbon/lila colour as it says in the original folder i have here..

Same looks as you have.

Mine was originally equipped with deore lx and xt c rear derailleur.. :roll: :)

Denso_Retro":3gtlci1h said:
Hello all!!

I want to restaurate my Trek 8700 carbon from 1994.

Does anyone know how to get the purple frame colour? Or colour number?

And how to make those carbon tubes look new again..

Thanks a lot!! :D :D

Added:

Xtr front and Xtr shadow rear derailleur
Xt crank with xt bracket
Ringle chain thing
Deore shifters
Xt cassette 9 spd with xtr chain
Pro hi comp carbon steer
Deore xt seatpost
Avid single digit v brakes
Roch shox tt fork

And still ridin on the original piranha k front tyres and mavic rim :) :)

Attachments

• 20130326_232240.jpg
    20130326_232240.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 222
24pouces":1j6oh96s said:
I have tried to restore a 8700 frame. Striping the painting on aluminium parts is easy with classic technics. For the carbon tubes, I used a cutter blade and I "shaved" the tubes ( the blade have to slide on the tube) for removing the old gelcoat /varnish. Don't use abrasive paper, you would destroy the carbon.
After, just a new P.U varnish and the look new ! (You could keep them with nothing on them...)
;)
Thank you :)

Back