Setting up a charity ?

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Thinking of setting up a charity ? is it easy to do ?........anyone done it on here.

It will be a support group to help people with' mental health issues ' held locally, so i'm guessing if a charity i could apply for grants/funding to pay for building hire/teabiscuits etc etc ????

greenstiles":347l4s3q said:
Thinking of setting up a charity ? is it easy to do ?........anyone done it on here.

It will be a support group to help people with' mental health issues ' held locally, so i'm guessing if a charity i could apply for grants/funding to pay for building hire/teabiscuits etc etc ????

As an official charity it is harder than you might think.
I know for to set up an account for one under a Charity status there has to be a minimum amount of cash flow (income of £5k iirc), Trustees, blah de blah. More than you might think.

You might be better of trying for a 'club sort of thing' at first and see how it goes.

If I were you, I'd try and do it off the back of an already existing charity, and make use of their systems etc,

I reckon we should be examining a lot of charities and removing their status.

Lots of them seem to be set up for all the wrong reasons and paying salaries out of donations.

Out.

All you want to know is on the charity commission website. Lots of advice and details of what to do.

As for getting grants and stuff, not only have the amounts available been drastically reduced over the last few years, but any that involve local authorities etc have pretty much ceased.

Not trying to put you off, but it will be a lot of hard work and effort. If you have the time then go for broke.

Website address: http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/St ... fault.aspx

Back