Bringing a Pre-War frame into the 20th century.

First pic of the brass ont the disc mount was a bit shocking, tbh (have no experience of brass) but amazed at how nicely it filled down. :) Looks really sweet.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out - really nice so far. :)

sandmangts":13a4md2x said:
Grockel":13a4md2x said:
That's a lot of nappies in that last picture.
It's my first time brazing, gimme a break. I am going to hit some spots again to smooth it out. I ran out of oxygen on the back side so I couldn't get enough heat so I had some pits.
I never mentioned the quality of your brazing just the amount of nappies in the background.

As for the brazing I think you've done a great job it looks really good once you cleaned it up

the brazing looks like you're working with a big/hot flame pretty far back

a much smaller flame close in makes it much easier to produce elegant fillets that need less/no filing back

Grockel":297tz6c7 said:
sandmangts":297tz6c7 said:
Grockel":297tz6c7 said:
That's a lot of nappies in that last picture.
It's my first time brazing, gimme a break. I am going to hit some spots again to smooth it out. I ran out of oxygen on the back side so I couldn't get enough heat so I had some pits.
I never mentioned the quality of your brazing just the amount of nappies in the background.

As for the brazing I think you've done a great job it looks really good once you cleaned it up
Ha, my mistake. I forgot you guys call them nappies. Sorry, my lack of culture is showing. I poured some more brass in there this morning and filled some of the highs and lows so I think it will look good once it is painted. The next step is to do some cable guides and then the hot work will be done.

What do you use to smooth the brass down? A file, or sandpaper, or a flapwheel or something?

lae":30b2874k said:
What do you use to smooth the brass down? A file, or sandpaper, or a flapwheel or something?
All of the above. Start with an angle grinder for the places where I laid it on thick and gently bring the high spots down. Then with the same angle grinder switch to a flap wheel with 80 grit and bring it down a little more. It is very easy to screw up with the grinder so a little at a time is best. Then I hit the corners and tight spots with a dremel and then a file. Then just use sandpaper. I like to use a roll of 80 grit that is for a belt sander and cut it so I can pull it back and forth across the tubes. It is alot of work. It really makes you appreciate what the masters like Steve Potts and Tom Ritchey can do.

sandmangts":haax9osc said:
It really makes you appreciate what the masters like Steve Potts and Tom Ritchey can do.

I'm sure it does, I would love to have a go.

I bet you have your first frame planned already...:)

Totally amazing and inspiring build thread, its just so different to the norm.

It also very brave of you to share your learning curve with the world :D

TBH I would have left that frame to rot peacefully away :oops: as I never would have seen the potential in it that you have.

Totally hooked on seeing this build thread all the way to the end.

I got it mocked up today so I could work out the cable routing. Only then did I realize the brakes were set up as lefty rear and righty front. Gonna chang that for sure. I am thinking of going with a matte black finish, custom decals and headbadge. I have the cable stops and guides and I will be brazing them on later this week (I am too shitfaced right now) Anyway, I shall christen thee the Marauder. You shall be the meanest most rediculous bike in the realm. Cross country fork, downhill brakes on an antique frame, screw it why the hell not. Seriously, this bike is so completely impractical and off the wall, it totally makes no sense. Just like me.

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

Back