Brake fitting

curzons246

Retro Guru
I'm building up a 531c frame - i'm fitting some Dura Ace BR-7402 single pivot SLR brakes. It appears that when i tighten up the Allen bolt to secure them to the frame it nips the caliper up ie the arms cant clamp and release? Is the boss that holds the caliper release spring threaded? Should I be able to undo the cone headed nut on the front? is the pivot bolt to short and can it be replaced - any guidance please

Yes thats a single bolt that goes through the center It's likely that a locknut behind the brake arms has come loose so that when you tighten the brake up it tightens everything else too. If you cannot locate the exact problem then inserting a 5mm allen key into the front of the brake when you're doing it up to hold everything in place should do the trick....

Was having this issue this morning and thought it was just me doing something wrong. I was using modern calipers and was wondering whether it was because the bolts are longer these days due to carbon forks having a deeper cross section than old steel forks?

The recessed bolts come in different lengths due to frame variations

Titanium_Recessed_Brake_Nuts.jpg

Ah, will have to try and get a smaller size then seems a better idea than arming myself with a hacksaw...

Latest posts

Back