Headset Lockring

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
Stripping a frame, I've found that the steerer doesn't have a flat for a D shaped lockring, nor a slot for a tabbed one.

The lockring I've removed has had the tab filed off.

It's an Orbit America and the forks are original and it seems odd that a reputable manufacturer would do this.

I've sent them an e-mail, but I wondered what you all thought of it.

Thanks in advance.

With a decent pair of headset spanners adjustment shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you hold the bottom one (the actual race) still while you tighten the locknut down onto it. The frame must have been ridden for some time like this so it can't be that important.

Thanks both.

It's a mid-Nineties frame so I guessed it wouldn't be a problem, but expert reassurance is always welcome!

Ha! Such modesty Tel.

Are you thinking of the Olagnero? This was my Orbit.

I'm still undecided about the Olly: I'll probably build it up SS and try it for size, if I can make it work for me it will get '95/'96 Chorus and a lot of polishing...

Apologies, I confuse myself; I've got six bikes in various states of disrepair in my one-bed (with another on the way): you've probably got a better idea of what I'm doing than I have!

Current plan for the Orbit is the Chorus group mentioned above (still need cranks and a wheelset): white perforated bar tape and saddle (a NOS Laser on its way from Greece).

But I've got a Peugeot and the Olly to do first...

Back