Bringing a Pre-War frame into the 20th century.

So I made a little progress today. I am sure now that I can pull this off.

I got the disk tab in today and tried it on for size. Untrimmed like this was a no-go. I would never be able to get the wheel on an off without messing with the brake.
008.jpg

So I trimmed it a bit, still rough but after some grinding and filing it should fit flush to the top of the seat stay. Then I will strip that primer back off, sand it with 80 grit so the brass can get a grip and then I will lay a fat bead in there. This way I can take the wheel off without any fuss.

009.jpg

So I made a little progress today. I am sure now that I can pull this off.

I got the disk tab in today and tried it on for size. Untrimmed like this was a no-go. I would never be able to get the wheel on an off without messing with the brake.
008.jpg

So I trimmed it a bit, still rough but after some grinding and filing it should fit flush to the top of the seat stay. Then I will strip that primer back off, sand it with 80 grit so the brass can get a grip and then I will lay a fat bead in there. This way I can take the wheel off without any fuss.

009.jpg

Sorry for the double post. I was brazing like crazy today. Clearly I still have alot to learn but i managed to get a nice heavy strong braze. The key is keeping the surrounding metal red hot so the brass flows. Getting the mount tacked into position was a bitch. I used my disk wheel and clamped the brake in place on the rotor to serve as a jig. It worked and I got lucky. The brake lines up just fine. Still lots of file work and sanding to do but it feels super solid.

019.jpg

020.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

034.jpg

032.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

027.jpg

023.jpg

Grockel":1hyy7fbk said:
That's a lot of nappies in that last picture.
It's my first time brazing. I am going to hit some spots again to smooth it out. I ran out of oxygen on the back side so I couldn't get enough heat so I had some pits.

part of the fun is learning and you seem to be having some great fun even if stressfull at times

If everything is steel then don't be afraid to use quality magnets to hold two parts together to get your tack welds..gives you both hands free

I think your doing fine and as kermit says, take it slowly..build up slowly and the finesse will come..thumbs up chap

Back