Cable Outers

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Evenin' all,

I pondered whether to ask here or at my LBS and here won! Probably a stupid question (why i pondered) - the cable outer that runs from the chainstay to the rear mech on my Rapide is metal with no covering. It is in good condition and needs a clean.

Can these outers be bought? Do they differ from plastic coated outers?
Is it best to use a normal gear cable outer which has been cut to length for this?

The third question relates to further builds which i am planning.

On a final note, has anyone seen chrome chainstay protectors for sale anywhere? Or has anyone any spare?

Thanks everyone

I don't think there's much difference between the older metal outers and more modern ones, especially if you're using downtube shifters. more modern ones might have better coating inside that reduce friction, which helps with STI/ergo levers. The metal ones might be hard to find now though. If yours is in good condition then why not just reuse it - flush it with GT85 or similar and it should be OK to use. Otherwise you can just use normal gear outer, no problem at all.

Chrome chainstay protectors are hard to find - I couldn't find a plain one when I was looking, the only ones available seem to have either "Campagnolo" or "shimano" on them. here are some campagnolo, colnago and merckx versions: http://www.defietsenmaker.nl/index.php? ... 42&lang=EN and there are probably more about, just google "chrome chainstay protector" and see what turns up :)

Foz,

Thanks for that. I will use the old i have for the Rapide but i have a couple of other bikes coming which may need them too - i will use normal gear outer for them.

The chrome protector is harder to source, i saw the ones you mentioned but was looking for a plain one. Stupidly, i removed the one on the bike before checking if they were still available - a lesson for all newbies like me - CHECK BEFORE YOU REMOVE ANYTHING! It is the hassle trying to find bits not really the cost. (the cost is also a factor too i suppose)

Thanks again

Lol, glad yo are counting, how many until i actually know something about bikes? I suspect the millions!

Thanks Ian and everyone for helping me out

I've got afew of those things in my bits box...Campag I think.
PM if you fancy one.
IMG_7526.jpg

All the best,

Modern outer cables are builded otherwise. More to the exact use of it. The treads are in length instead of rounded up by cirkels so to speak as the old ones were. You need even a special kind of tool to cut them to the right size. This difference is because of the more precise type of indexing refering to the non-indexed way of the past.

Thanks Dutchie and Dan - Dan i have pm'ed you.

If anyone else has spare old outers please give me a shout - no need to be Campag.

Is this another tool i need - to cut cable outers??????

*faints*

I might have some old style cable outer somewhere. Not sure on condition or colour though. Will have a look tomorrow.

and yes, decent cable cutters are a must! it's worth getting a decent set - they cut much better (especially outer cables), and last longer.

Back