Muddy Fox Explorer - built to explore!

Yes, I did buy it because it has lowrider mounts... but since then I've been thinking that panniers have pretty poor ground clearance, and some of the trails I plan to go on are narrow, rutted, have rocks all over them - or a combination of all three.

Plus it's lighter and cheaper, since I can DIY framebags quite easily... I can also DIY racks but welding's harder than sewing.

My hubbie had one of these new BITD we still have a soft spot for them, good luck with the bike and the tour.

Alison

Denim framebags!

I'm actually thinking of using sail fabric - I know a bunch of guys who are into sailing and occasionally their sails get too damaged to economically repair or they wear out... It's a cheap source of waterproof fabric and it generally comes in a selection of cool colours (like white and pink for that 80s look).

I've got to be careful about exactly what fabric I use - some fabrics are strong in only one direction, or they're really inflexible and tough to manipulate, or some will permanently deform if you pull them in the wrong direction... some are really tough and some are really lightweight etc.

Love it, I grew up sailing boats and did my training as a boatbuilders years ago... still got my sailmakers bag somewhere.. you should start a new thread for DIY frame bags. or a business doing bespoke ones?

Back