Fat Chance Buck Shaver! updated 21/11/12

took her out for a spin today, had to really as i felt left out as it seems like everyone else is at the national ride in the lakes.

20 miles of new forest mud (well it wasn't that muddy!) but it was a good ride

:D :D

Attachments

• buck2.jpg
    buck2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 691
i thought i'd up date this a little :)

a couple of small changes, i liked the look of the build as is with the Sids and XT brakes but unfortunately i found the brakes a little spongey, i prefer positive feeling brakes so i decide to change them for some Avid single digit SL's i found for a bargain price of £25 for the lot! :) i think they fit the bike a little better aswel, the bosses were a little pissed on the frame so the shimano brakes didn't sit quite straight but the avids seem to cope with it a little better.

also i am thinking of changing the stem cap, what do you think? i like this cap as it has a nukeproof logo look to it but i'm not sure if the blue 'works' with the black stem.

i have been riding this a bit recently including 20 miles in the rain on saturday, it has taken a while to get used to this bike but now that i have i do really like it :D

Attachments

• buck3.jpg
    buck3.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 545
  • buck2.jpg
    buck2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 545
  • buck1.jpg
    buck1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 545
Nice to see my old Buck. Regretted selling this the minute I dropped it into the courier. So much so that the next time a buck came up I grabbed it...

You'll know how it rides more than me but those SIDS look way too long. Is it an 80mm Sid?

actually it rides spot on, the bombers i had for it were 63mm, the sids are 80mm, not a huge increase but the handling is fine with no barge like steering. if i can find some x-firm springs though i will put the bombers back in purely because they match, but if i do that i would probably fit a riser bar as the front end felt low with those forks, the only other possibility is finding a 80mm bomber that is compatible with the white lowers i have had done and fitting those.

we'll see

:)

thought i'd add a little update to this.

when i got the Sid forks for this i really liked the ride, the 80mm front end felt so much better than the 63mm bomber front end, but the idea was to long term paint the forks to match, this has finally been done, i am really pleased with the look now, it's just as i wanted, also i managed to get a red/silver/blue king headset for it aswel so as far as i am concerned this is now completely finished! how often can you say that??!! :D

here's some pics :D

P1090628 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090627 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090632 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090630 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090633 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090634 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090635 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090636 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090637 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090638 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1090639 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Top work!You've managed to combine modern practicalities with a retro spirit, not that easy to do!

that was the idea with this build right from the start.

i wanted 1 1/8 headset so i could fit a modernish fork, no canti hanger so i could run v brakes therefore giving me a retrobike that had some modern benefits.

i can use this without ever thinking (while riding) that i have to be careful because i don't have good enough brakes etc.

really pleased with it.

:D

I really like that, the colour matched forks suit it well, tasteful mods made to it as well.

But you know nothing is ever "finished" right? ;)

Back