Air humidity meters....

we turn ours off when we are out or in bed - we noticed the difference within a day or 2 after we started using it.

we had condensation/damp issues in our victorian terrace..

we bought one of these..

http://www.dry-it-out.com/ruby-dry-amber-dry-dh600-dehumidifier

ran it on full in each of the rooms for about 6 hours or so and the difference is night and day now..!

got rid of the damp patches on walls and the whole house just feels drier now..

it sits in the attic room now and we run it on the auto 50 setting so it only kicks in when the humidity rises above 50% and we only keep it on during the day.. its pretty quiet when in the low mode (which it is most of the time) but i turn it off at night because ive got massively sensitive hearing..!

emptying it every couple of days at the moment and its usually about 2/3rds full in the 5 litre tank.. i think id find it a real pain if we had got one with a smaller 2 litre tank.. though they can be setup with a constant drain if you have a drain nearby..

ive found increasing ventilation helps massivley too.. open the window for 10 minutes after a bath / shower to get rid of the moist air.. open the window while cooking etc..

and if you have double glazing make sure the trickle vents are open (or you open the window to the slightly open notch but still locked) to help with ventilation in any moisture producing areas!

retrocomeback":1w6kn52j said:
The one I have is also the desiccant type and is practically silent running (apart from the clothes drying mode!), we have a two bedroom house and have it positioned on the upstairs hallway outside the bathroom (the source of most moisture). It has a self contained tank which holds 2ltrs and has an auto off switch when this tank is full, alternatively you can set it up with an external drain feed for continuous usage. Doing a quick google I see amazon have them reduced down to £130 http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-DNC65-Compressor-Compact-Dehumidifier/dp/B000UVPOUA

I saw the price on that earlier at £130, popped back 2 hours later and it is up to £156 :(

I have one in my garage, it's run constantly. I have had one with a 10l water container and it would need emptying every day.
I get dehumifiers off ebay, not paid more than a couple of quid so far,
I think the present one has been in use 5 years or so and cost 99p;-)
But it's the wrong time of year to be getting them from ebay for 99p.
I killed lot's of them as without a defrost they freeze below something like 12ºC and the pumps burn out, the ones with defrost are ok down to 5ºC, They don't bun out instantly so breaking the ice off/ getting it off with a heat gun once a day often keeps them going.
What do the desiccant ones do about drying the desiccant?

thanks for that Ken, i'm already decided that i definitely want one, and i think i'll be able to swing it so that i get this one before the winter hits. still need to get it round the Mrs. still, i'll just get it anyway since i feel we need it that badly :p

Back