1994 Diamond Back Ascent restoration - finished!

Hi

I am doing the same with my Ascent and just about to get my bike powder coated

Could you give me the contact details for Gil who made the decals? How much were they?

looks fantastic and a sensible choice with the groupset, upgrading everything removes the essence of the bike in my books.

stem

Hi. I've picked up '94 ascent in Malawi and need a shorter stem. I'm back in the UK for a few days now and want to buy one. Can someone tell me the height of the stem where it attaches around the steerer tube? Being single bolt I suspect it's not as deep as the typical stem. Also, any ideas where I might find the right stem?
Cheers

Attachments

• usisya(1).JPG
    usisya(1).JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 2,300
Re: 1994 Diamond Back Ascent restoration

Well, I finally got this finished and I'm really happy with it. I'm pleased with how much of the old parts I was able to save, and how many really nice replacements I found, like the grips and saddle, to put it back to how it was when I used to ride it :D It looks almost black in the photos but its really a dark metallic green which looks great in the sun - if its stays out long enough!

Spec and pics:

Frame: 94 Diamond Back Ascent / True Temper AVR double butted main tubes with plain guage cromo stays
Fork: Diamond Back cromo
Headset: Diatech
Stem: SR Duo-10 forged alloy
Bar: Avenir alloy
Grips: Onza Ules

Brakes: Shimano STX
Brake Pads: SwissStop RAT
Brake Cables: Shimano XT
Brake Levers: Shimano STX Special Edition STI

Shifters: Shimano STX Special Edition STI
Front Derailleur: Shimano STX Special Edition
Rear Derailleur: Shimano STX
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XT
Cassette: SRAM
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: Shimano STX
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN52
Pedals: Tioga Surefoot VI

Hubs: Shimano STX Parallax
Rims: Araya TM-18
Hub Skewers: Shimano STX
Tyres: Tioga Psycho K

Saddle: Vetta SL Manganese
Seatpost: Alloy

Weight: 25lbs 11oz / 11.65kg

IMG_3152_zpsf29e702a.jpg

IMG_3151_zpsfbfa4713.jpg

IMG_3144_zps40a66a01.jpg

IMG_3146_zpsc5892452.jpg

IMG_3145_zps9b66e023.jpg

IMG_3147_zps3306da8e.jpg

IMG_3149_zpseb3c3a48.jpg

IMG_3148_zps1ba6b7de.jpg

IMG_3150_zpsd3a789ce.jpg

IMG_3155_zps1fe53f34.jpg

IMG_3153_zpsbfc5af0c.jpg

Looks great, I bought one of these just before Christmas, and sold the frame on to retroyetirigid. I only bought the bike for the saddle and rear tyre. I have the right STX front mech in good condition if you want it. I had it on ebay for a couple of weeks but no takers. £5 posted.

The stem looks great, but are quite heavy. I've got one in my spares box now. The wheels are nice, I stole them from the Ascent to put on my wifes bike. Mine wasn't original, and didn't fit me, so had no qualms stripping it down. Yours is a really nice looking beast, done very well. :D

Now that is very good indeed ...i've had a few Diamondbacks and have a soft spot for them......that is a great job indeed !

Nice looking bike! I have one just like it that i saved from the dumper, that I am about to rebuild. That leads me to ask what is the spindle lenght on the bottom bracket for your bike? The bottom bracket on the one I have has been replaced at some point in its life, but I am a bit suspect of it being the correct length, and I want to replace it with the correct size during the rebuild.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back