Air humidity meters....

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
anyone got one/used one? just want something to measure the humidity/moisture in the air around our flat.
i'm asthmatic and my son is showing signs of it, would like to get a picture of how much moisture is in the air to see what effects it has on his breathing, coughing etc......
also, our bathroom is pretty much 100% all the time condensated.
water constantly on the outside of the toilet cistern, the wall in the corner next to the toilet is permanetley wet (i'e has a mirror finish to it)
i have an extractor fan - which may need upgrading and a longer timer setting on it.

also the mould on the walls keeps coming back like a mother f**ker!

anyone else got similar experiences?

Buy a dehumidifier not cheap but worth it. We borrowed one, it has made a big difference to my flat so a purchase will be soon.
A mate bought one of those new dessicant types which is better if your house gets really cold as it keeps working down to 1 degree C. It ionises the air too which is meant to be better for asthma.

The mould is more likely to make asthma worse than the damp itself.

My wife is an asthma sufferer and what with our home having had new double glazing, cavity, and loft insulation in recent years the moisture that naturally builds up in a home has been left with nowhere to escape to. We bought one of these dehumidifiers http://www.johnlewis.com/230428592/Product.aspx and really cannot rave about it enough. Heating bills have decreased, offsetting any increase in electric usage and most importantly there is no longer any moisture which is trapped and can form mould anywhere. My wife has really noticed the difference and barely has any issues with her asthma at all now. For the sake of your family's health it's £200 well spent in my view.

whereabouts is the best place to place one of these? can they be wall mounted?
floor space is limited (2 bed flat and bathroom is situated down a small flight of stairs just past my sons bedroom).

a review would be great - would be interested to know about running noise, how often they need servicing/emptying (i assume it collects and stores the moisture somewhere?) and also reliability.
i'm game for trying it out - although it may take convincing with the mrs if it costs that much....:roll:

The one I have is also the desiccant type and is practically silent running (apart from the clothes drying mode!), we have a two bedroom house and have it positioned on the upstairs hallway outside the bathroom (the source of most moisture). It has a self contained tank which holds 2ltrs and has an auto off switch when this tank is full, alternatively you can set it up with an external drain feed for continuous usage. Doing a quick google I see amazon have them reduced down to £130 http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-DNC65-Compressor-Compact-Dehumidifier/dp/B000UVPOUA

I should add there is a 2 year warranty on the Delonghi which we have used as one of the motors failed after 20 months use but to their credit there was no quibble on the manufacturers part and it was picked up and returned to us fully working within 72hrs, can't fault that!

They drain into a tank or most have a 2 meter hose if emptying is too regular. if it is a small flat stick it in the hallway and leave the bathroom door open - it will still do it's job and dry the resat of the flat too.

I think the dessicant ones are slightly quieter than the fridge compressor type but they both make some noise so you wouldn't want it on in the livingroom whilst watching TV.

awesome, great info chaps - many thanks.
will be looking into this seriously as the winter draws in. the bathroom is the worst place for it, so if i can mount it in there, its worth a shot. the lounge is directly next to it, as well as my sons room - they are north facing rooms, so get the coldest and least amount of sunlight throughout the day (but are the quietest rooms - hence why my son is in it!)

how long do these things start to take effect/how long do you leave them on at any given period?
is it an over night thing? or on all day and night???

We had trouble with condensation and an outside wall causing damp.....basically poor ventilation need air bricks really but we're in rented flat.......we bought a dehumidifer, now WE control how wet/dry the air is. Worth the spend, really !

Back