Bernard Carre c73 Special Chromed Frame Dur Ace 1st Gen

Veloart

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
Here we have an extraordinary Bernard Carre built Fully chromed frame in quite beautifull condition.

Full photos are available here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clovencoll ... 3074/show/

The chrome is in almost flawless condition there was one small spot under the top tube where it has oxidised but it is not visible (apart from in the photo).

Datewise I am pretty certain it is 1973/4 it has the crane rear derailleur which was part of the Dura ace groupo prio to 74 when they brought out the dura ace badged rear mech.

In terms of spec this is what we have:

Frame: Super Vitus 971 Super Legere Double Butted (lighter than Reynolds 531) 53cm Top T and Seat T (C2C & C2T)

Headset: Shimano Dura Ace (1st edition)

Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura Ace (1st edition)

Drops: Campagnolo

Front and Rear Derailleurs: Front Shimano Dura Ace (1st edition) - Shimano Crane

Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace (1st edition)

Hubs: Shimano Dura Ace (1st edition)

Rims: Super Champion Arc de Ciel

Brakes: Shimano Dura Ace (1st edition) (Levers and Callipers)

Stem & Bars: Phillipe Competition Stem, Guidon Phillipe Franco Belge D354 Bar

Tape: Original 70's Bluemells Grey Tape.

Saddle and Seat Post : Ideale 90 on a Campagnolo Record Seat Post

Crank: Shimano Dura Ace Crank and Rings

Pedals: Kyukoto Pro Ace, Christophe Clips and Barreau Cycles Straps.

In short this bike is ridiculously beautiful and is currently on display in a friends shop. I have no idea how the chrome managed to remain in such pristine condition the mediterranean climate must have helped. This is a fantastically designed bike which the most noticeable aspect of it is when you actually ride it how taught and responsive the whole bike is - although it is pretty it was designed to be ridden and has the accolade in our household of being the bike of choice of the wife for the past 2 months and she is nothing if not demanding.....

The Roto BB and lugs are the same as those on the Gazelle Champion de Monde from the mid 70's.

Whoever is the new owner of this bike which get enormous amount of pleasure from both the riding and regarding of the bike.

For those that are unaware Bernard Carre was a highly regarded french frame builder I think from the early 60's through to the early 80's and built a number of bikes for Pro racers in Le Tour and I think built some of the Team bikes certainly for the Le Jeune Team in the late 60's early 70's. His workshop was taken over by Didier Louis who is still making some beautifull racing bikes to this day.

Price wise I'm looking for £900 for this happy to take more if your offering it...!

Attachments

• 2012-11-16 18.00.47.jpg
    2012-11-16 18.00.47.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 1,862
Hi

In person this is probably the most visually arresting bike I have had. In the end I went all grey on the cables and handlebar tape - however when my good lady was using it - It was white and white and again looked superb. If it was my size it would be staying without a shadow of a doubt. I have riden quite a few french road bikes from the late 60's to the mid 70's, and this one rides better than any of them.

There are more photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clovencoll ... 3074/show/

Tom.

Back